1. Make sure your website is optimized for best search results on the keywords that people will use to find services like yours.
2. Get your business listed on Google+ Local and put a Google map on your Contact page so local customers know how to find you.
3. List your business in online Yellow Pages and any niche market directories.
4. Join your local Chamber of Commerce - they can be a good source for customers in your area, and they host a number of functions which would give you an opportunity to network.
5. Are you a Better Business Bureau member? If not, join - potential customers trust the BBB logo and are more likely to do business with a member than a non-member.
6. Is your online purchase / payment process easy to use? Do you offer several payment options? Are your prices competitive? What are your shipping terms? All of these things affect whether or not a site visitor converts to a customer.
7. Use pay-per-click advertising (Google Adwords, etc).
8. Advertise on sites like Kijiji and Craigslist. They get millions of visitors.
9. Use social media like Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
I've been running an online business since 1999.