Vegans look super unhealthy?

do you get tired of people saying that? How in the world can you compare the way a vegan and a person on the standard American diet looks? seriously? Yeah, I'm guessing that meat, antibiotics, hormones, and extra cholesterol and fat would probably make you look a lot different. Just because only a small portion of vegans exist vs. Meat eaters means that healthy looks a certain way? I just hate these dumb statements. Nobody knows what health really truly looks like anyways.

I realize this was not much of a question but i totally feel a little better getting that out.

• SK
    Favorite Answer

Hmm. According to a study by the ADA, veganism improves blood glucose levels, loses weight, and leads to lower blood pressure, lower lipid levels, and lower cholesterol. All healthy. But they also report that most vegans suffer from a vitamin B-12 deficiency, because vitamin B-12 is not contained in any plants. This can lead to dementia, lack of coordination, nerve dysfunction, and balance problems. If *most* vegans tested had at least a mild B-12 deficiency, then you can see why others might reasonably think they seemed "out of it" or "unhealthy." (Other nutritional issues with veganism, mostly addressable through eating fortified soy or taking various vitamins, include problems with calcium, zinc, vitamin D and iron.) It's absolutely true that the average obese American is not one to judge health on looks. But I dunno - maybe people say these things about vegans because they're true at least some of the time.

• Sarah

I've been vegan so far for 3 months. Diets are very much YMMV (your mileage may vary) so while some can absolutely thrive on certain foods, others can't. Say that, you should take everything said here with a grain of salt. The only real way to see if you like it or not is to study up as much as possible and then take a dive for a few months to test the water. I've got amazing energy, faster recovery, and more food for a happy stomach. I haven't lost or gained any weight but I can run forever these days. Overall, I've been really healthy and I wish I was born this way. The only real unhealthy part that I had to deal with was that my skin was getting kind of dry on my hands. Apparently I wasn't getting enough omega-3s so I just incorporated a tablespoon of flax meal into my diet and now everything is back to normal. So a healthy, well-planned, vegan diet can do wonders for some people but if you don't know what you're doing you can lose a lot more than muscle. Study up, don't be afraid to try new things, and do what makes you happy.

• Ducky

A lot of vegans are unhealthy.... Just like a lot of meat eaters are unhealthy...... As a med student I have seen the risk factors of both worlds (and yes, despite common media portrayal, veganism DOES have risk factors). Being a healthy vegan is really hard to do, as the average vegan diet does not get in all the vitamins and minerals you need. Take B-12 for example (a very important vitamin, especially for girls)... a lot of vegans are deficient in this because B-12 is found only in animal meats. You will also find a lot of potassium and iron deficiencies in vegans as well..... A lot of vegans don't even know they have these deficiencies because it takes a while before the symptoms arise.

Either-way, most healthy vegans take supplements to make up for the vitamins they are loosing. And yes, you can say "Well, I can just get them in by eating more veggies/fruits/breads"...... but no you can't. If you were to eat enough vegan foods to get in all these nutrients than you would be eating so many calories you'd become overweight (just like the meat eaters your accusing)

And please, antibiotic sand hormones in meat is scientifically proven to do no harm to the human body. The studies that show otherwise only get their results by forcing mice to drink about half their body weight in hormones/antibiotics. Therefore, unless you drink half your body weight in antibiotics or hormones, your fine........

Source(s): Med-Student who follows a healthy diet (is meat conscious, but not against eating it)

A typical statement whether unknown to be biased or not by a vegan is to compare the rates of cardiovascular diseases etc to the SAD & then conclude a vegan diet is healthier, despite not taking factors into account such as lifestyle, obesity level, exercise level etc into account.

I'm unaware of any study that compares itself to those that follow a much healthier form of lifestyle. A study of vegan athletes vs meat-eating athletes, or standard vegans vs dedicated amateur natural bodybuilders etc would be of great interest & i'd guess blow A LOT of the ideas out of the water. It is already known that obesity & exercise levels are much bigger health markers for the likes of cholestrol levels than dietary alone.

Source(s): ex vegan

Especially the difference between people who eat more fruits and vegetables than others. You will be skinnier than a meat eater in general and the condition of your hair and skin will be better. Vegans can get pretty pale though, but I wonder if people are actually supposed to have rosy faces. What if its actually some weird blood disorder from animal products? I'm just brainstorming now but the point is that people who have clogged arteries and trouble with brain clarity because of diet, should not have the gall to call someone else unhealthy because they are skinnier or more pale.

Source(s): Vegan

Vegans aren't very healthy. I imagine they are quite like eating a pigeon. Stringy and little meat of substance. If I went to a restaurant and had the choice between eating a vegan and a steak, I would always choose the steak.

Homo-Sapiens have always been omnivorous. That means meat, vegetables and fruits. According to many studies the reason for our brains evolutionary jump was the extra protein in the form of cooked meat. Eskimo's diet is nearly all animal protein and they are some of the healthiest people on earth. Now this doesn't mean it will work for everyone. As a matter of fact eating too much animal protein for most people can lead to health problems. Moderation in everything. Taking any part of a healthy diet out of the equation is not a smart thing to do.

• GP1500

Don't really care. I do not know all the vegans in the world but I know my meat eating 400 calorie a day friend looks like vegans supposedly do.

I have yet to meet a vegan that looks frail.

do not get me on this soap box I do have my issues on both sides of the question.

vegans have a tenancy not to find good quality alternatives to the protein and vegetables to make the skin look less pail and sallow. fat is not healthy and Italians and Americans are the high of thinking you need to be fat to be healthy that is not true at all. High cholesterol is not healthy at all and heart attacks and strokes are the results of such eating. over weight general is not healthy from any style of diet.

get your vitamins and minerals and a good quality of non meat protein and find your 10 free doctors

The devine scorce of strength for making it through the week

exercise daily and in the open air

Air fresh and clean deep breathing

water inside and out for cleanness

Healthy diet of Fruit nuts grains vegetables seeds beans and a rainbow of super foods for cancer fighters.

rest daily and weekly with the help of the one who created the weekly cycle and knows when and where to meet. Do you know where to find and meet him?

Temperance and Abstemousness from that which destroys health.

• Dave

Wow, this is fun category. I should have come though here years ago. Honestly, most vegans do look unhealthy. And I doubt, in 25-40 years, after the first mass generation of vegetarians/vegans should all be going into their "golden years" +, if many of them will still be alive, and those that are will be a huge strain on the medical resources we have.

Homo sapiens, otherwise known as human beings, are omnivorous creatures. In america, our diet as a whole has been $h¡t for eons. The most commonly consumed vegetables in this country are almost nutritiously void; white rice, potatoes, iceberg and romaine lettuce, corn, wheat. The only highly commercial vegetable with any nutritious value here is possibly the tomato, most of which gets turned into ketchup. Add all this into an excessive amount of high fat/cholesterol meats, and here we are.

Eliminating animal proteins is not the answer to this problem. Especially with so many people trying to replace it with this completely unnatural genetically engineered soybean crap. Do some research. The things they are doing to corn and soybeans makes the hormones that the colonel is pumping into his chicken look downright healthy. And that's scary.

If you have the ability to do any scientific research or read any scientific papers, do some research on any omnivorous mammals, primates in particular. They do not live as long, not are they as healthy, if they eat only vegetal materials. And that's healthy, natural fruit and vegetable matter, not this genetically modified, hormonally induced soybean stuff that they are trying to boost the amount of scant amino aids in to replace what people are refusing to eat.

I'm not saying that quinoa is bad, I think most people should eat allot more of it. I have red quinoa in my house almost at all times. But of course, I eat it with salmon and chicken. I also eat allot of other whole grains, and fruits and vegetables. And, I'm a type I diabetic of over 30 years, with no health problems whatsoever (knock on wood). I attribute that to a very concerted effort to have a healthy and natural human diet. Which includes a moderate amount of meat/animal matter.