Is this a possible scam or a threat and should I reply or leave it alone?

I have received an email form some person named "Elma" from Azerbaijan...the subject said I wish to know you...and this person asked if they were interested in dating me...they didn't mention an age nor send a picture...this is what the message said:

On Sunday, October 14, 2012, wrote:

Hello, it’s is Elma I reside in country Azerbaijan. I find your address in dating marriage agency. This service is in our town. This is a dating agency has many connections with most online dating sites, and they have a common list of the forms and e-mail addresses. I come to this agency, pay some money and they give me your e-mail address. So I very much desire that you will answer my letter soon. I am kind, curious, interesting girl, but very lonely. So I am very lonely in my life, and I find it hard to find a fine man here. I like to find a decent man from another country with which I will spend my whole life. I'm sure I will be faithful and curious woman for this man. I will attach you my image later. If you do not have relationships with other women now, and if you are lonely too, then I desire you write me back. I like to know you better and see your new photos. I will attach you my imagetures in my next letter, you can be sure that I'm really beautiful girl.. And I'll tell you else about me, and also I could learn else about you. I look forward to your reply. Elma P.s. but I apply you never apply me bare imagetures, because I would never attach it to anyone.

SHOULD I REPLY OR LEAVE IT ALONE?

BTW I DON'T KNOW HOW THIS PERSON FOUND MY EMAIL

• ?
    Favorite Answer

100% scam.

There is no Russian beauty desperate to toss her life aside and fly to be your wife. She is not going to marry anyone and is not interested in anything but your cash.

There is only a scammer trying to steal your hard-earned money with fake stories of daddy's death, mother's illness, sister's baby and needing money for internet, rent, food, fees, travel expenses, plane tickets, passport renew costs, medical exam, whatever excuses she makes up.

The next email will be from one of the scammer's fake names and free email addresses and will demand you rescue her from her desperate situations, again and again, and only in cash, and only by Western Union or moneygram.

Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out, not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver, it all means absolutely nothing. The clerk will not bother to check ID and will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer. Neither company will tell the sender who picked up the cash, at what store location or even in what country your money walked out the door. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever.

Now that you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

You could post up the email address and the emails themselves that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even partial sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

If you google "fake dating scam", "fraud Western Union love scam", "russian romance scam" or something similar you will find hundreds of posts from victims and near-victims of this type of scam.

Hahaha I got the same e-mail this morning. I was wondering the same about how the person found my e-mail. Though the mail I got never mentioned the fact that this comes from a datng company.

I'd say ignore this. Who knows how many others must have gotten this message and I feel sorry for those that actually fell for it. Just spam it and delete it.

Are you actually on a dating site,for starters? Also the name Elma doesnt scream Azerbaijan(is that even a place?) I would spam it

If you reply you confirm your address for more spamming. Plus you associate your real name with the address, putting you on a spam list that crafts more personal-looking scams.

You can reply if you are curious or interested. Have you signed up for internet dating websites?

&Of course don't give your credit card number or address to this person.

• binnix

Well,i used to be by no means imply to her,however this entire sarah and playboy playmate or anything field has not anything to do with wrestling in any respect,and its getting rather ancient,so yeah i agree this entire field individuals will have to simply drop it,it will get demanding rather rapid. Cant all of us simply experience wrestling without fights and trolls please Since i agree, i superstar

It's spam. Delete it. Never respond to messages from people you don't know

I just got the same mail. It's spam.

• red65

Spam. I would delete it and forget it.

This monument