Where to get a TEFL/TESOL?

So I want teach English in a foreign country, therefore I hear it is best to have a TEFL/TESOL/CELTA certificate. However, I don't know were you would get one. Also I am a senior in High school planning to go to College and get a BA degree in Chinese or Japanese. Also I am AP Chinese and AP Literature student, if any of that information matters. So is the certificate something you get in college, online, or some coarse offer somewhere? Also I hear TEFL, TESL,TESOL, & CELTA are basically the same thing, in that case which is the best or which is the one you would recommend me getting.

6 Answers

  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    TEFL, TESL, and TESOL are broadly the same, but there are specific differences.

    CELTA is 'Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults'. It is issued by the University of Cambridge ESOL. It is one of the most widely taken courses for new teacher trainees. Courses are offered in the UK and in many countries around the world. It is usually taught full-time over a one-month period or part-time over a period up to a year.

    TEFL is 'Teaching English as a Foreign Language'. English as a Foreign Language is learned either to pass exams as a necessary part of one's education, or for career progression while one works for an organization or business with an international focus.

    TESL is 'Teaching English as a Second Language'. English as a Second Language is learned by those who are immigrating to a country where English is the official language.

    TESOL is "Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages'. This term is used in American English to include both TEFL and TESL. In the UK, Ireland and New Zealand, it is used to clarify that English is not the student's first language, but their second or third.

    The best one? Students in China learn English just to pass that portion on the college entrance exam. Believe me, a Chinese student's life is driven by that exam... therefore the TEFL certificate. The China State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs recognizes the TEFL certification. SAFEA is the organization that issues and administers the Foreign Experts Certificate, which is a bonus for you to have.

    Foreign expert status is limited to those who have two years teaching experience. The Department of Cultural and Educational Experts, of the State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs (SAFEA) permits foreigners to teach in China, with foreign expert status, if they have taken the TEFL in China training, have obtained their certificate, and have their records on the evaluation system for foreign language experts, which is maintained by the Information Research Center, SAFEA. Every applicant who would like to apply a foreign expert certificate must have a bachelor's degree or beyond.

    I had my TEFL training in Beijing in 2006 through the China Association for International Exchange of Personnel. I made arrangements for the course through SAFEA.

    http://tefl.chinajob.com/home/index.html Chinajob is affiliated with the SAFEA.

    You can type "TEFL training" as a search term and you'll find an abundance of courses available. I cannot personally attest to the quality or credibilty of many of those.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

    Quite often you don't NEED any certificate. If you are a native speaker with a college degree this will already get you several job opportunities.

    Alright, to start if you aren't a "native" speaker(From England, South Africa, The United States of America, New Zealand, Australia etc), you will want to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The TOEFL IBT (Internet Based Test) is the most known now as it includes speaking and writing, though the Paper Based Test is still accepted in some places. Be sure to check before you take the test to know what scores you need and what test is preferred. This is to prove your English level to your school. While it doesn't always substitute for being a native speaker (especially if it is a visa requirement), sometimes it does. You mentioned being an AP student, so I am assuming you are American and this doesn't apply to you. So that's the TOEFL (different than a TEFL)

    Sometimes schools want more than just a native speaker; they want someone who has shown some commitment to teaching and has a certificate. That's when you'll see them ask for a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) or a TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages).

    Two of the more well known (and thus more valued) are the Cambridge Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA) and the Trinity College London Certificate in TESOL (Trinity). There are a lot of different courses out there, but the CELTA and Trinity are by far the two best known; that doesn't necessarily mean they are the best but they are reputable. They have hours of in class teaching and hands on time with the moderators. While the CELTA is technically focused on adults, I rarely see problems with this if you apply for younger learner jobs.

    I think it is easiest to think of the whole thing and compare it to shoes.

    The TEFL and TESOL certificates are shoes, and you need a pair to get where you are going. The CELTA and the Trinity are like Nike and Adidas; if you tell people you have them, they know you have "good" shoes.

    Now there are a lot of online certificates; I wouldn't encourage these as many schools won't take them, BUT if you already have a job and you'll get a pay raise or you are just looking at jobs that take online ones then this is great.

    CELTA has started to offer an online version, but it still requires you to to some in person time as well.

    My advice: Look for a school you would want to work at that is hiring right now. It is too early to actually look for a job for you, but you can see what requirements they want. These are the requirements you should shoot to have. If they say, "minimum 100 hour certificate" then that is what you want. "No online certificates" then you need to do one in person. "TEFL with classroom observation" means that most online certificates are out. "CELTA or equivilant" tends to mean Trinity or CELTA.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

    In general you'll need a BA degree and a TEFL/TESOL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certificate to get a visa and work abroad teaching English.

    The degree can be in almost any subject as it is usually required for the visa only so you will find teachers with a degree in Engineering or Sociology. Having said this, to help get the job it's obviously better to be English or language related, for example a degree in English literature.

    Essentially TEFL = TESOL at this stage so either certificate is fine. Also the CELTA is high-end TEFL certificate and we recommend it for people who have a couple of years experience teaching already; it's VERY intensive! Meanwhile the TEFL/TESOL certificate can be taken either in-house or online at your own pace which is a much cheaper option (see http://www.icaltefl.com).

    So, for an entry level job you need a degree and a basic TEFL or TESOL certificate.

    Source(s): A user-friendly introduction to teaching English overseas: http://www.icaltefl.com/index.php/resources/tefl-t...
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago


    Source(s): Extra Cash Writing http://givitry.info/WritingJobsOnline
    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

    We offer online TEFL certification at http://www.gettefl.com

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

    Hi, I have a TEFL course. I'm happy, I teach AJ in Taiwan. I've searched a lot but here I found a good price and a lot of information.

    Web: http://tefl-online-courses.com/

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.