Washing machine capacity in cubic feet what does this mean?

My husband and I live in a very small, very space-limited apartment with no washer/dryer hookups and no on site laundry. It is extremely annoying and costly to go to the laundromat every week with a small basket of clothes that need to be washed on different cycles, and we've been dealing with this for almost 4 years. We ordered online a Haier compact 1 cubic foot washer that will hook up to the kitchen sink. Obviously, this is a small machine, but I am just wondering what I can expect when it arrives in regards to how big of loads I can do? I have no idea what a cubic foot will hold. I usually wash like 2 bath towels or a pair of jeans and a couple shirts in a load, and am really hoping this will be able to fit that size load? I know some laundry like blankets and stuff will still have to be done at a laundromat, but I want to reduce the trips to once a month or so.

P.S. I found a vintage compact dryer at a flea market several years ago that's about the size of a small microwave that holds 2lbs of laundry, this washer says it's roughly 3x4' which is a lot bigger than the dryer, so I was hoping that was a good judge of capacity when I ordered it. The dryer doesn't give cubic feet....

Favorite Answer

That washer will do what you are expecting of it. Just resist the urge to pack an extra piece of clothing into the little guy. Drop the clothes in without pushing at all. The biggest cause of failure to compact washers is overloading.

Source(s): 15 years in appliance sales and service