Since when did "cute" become more important than temperament, stability and ability?

Seriously, where is the actual turning point? Just looking at some "designer dog" puppy posted on Facebook, "like" if you think it's cute. Everyone, bar a few with brain cells, said "ah cute! Where can i get one!!" With no idea of even what the hell it is! When did... show more Seriously, where is the actual turning point? Just looking at some "designer dog" puppy posted on Facebook, "like" if you think it's cute. Everyone, bar a few with brain cells, said "ah cute! Where can i get one!!" With no idea of even what the hell it is!

When did "cuteness" become the most important factor? When did these "dogs" (if you can call them that) come on the scene? And who's idea was it!? Was there some sort of reason at the beginning? Or not?
Update: Oh, this is the mutt in question, just in case you were wondering

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75740198@N08/
Update 2: Oppiolmum, that dog reminds me of a ginger biscuit
Update 3: I agree people can indeed be idiots!
Update 4: Ernie, good answer. But PLEASE don't tell me they're not going away...i try to be optimistic!! lol