promotion image of download ymail app

how can i get emancipated at 17 in alabama?

I turn 17 in just a few days, i have a son who will be a year old in a month, i graduate this year at age 17, im home schooled, and im sick of being here under my parents house, everything i do they think its wrong, my child's father wants to get married and really start our family together, they are always struggling with bills, they keep me stressed out and depressed here, my mother is supposed to be on hormones since she went through her surgery, she never takes them, and my father drinks everyday as long as hes home from work, this is really not a place i feel i should have my child living at, his father already pays for my bills and anything our son needs, id just like to know how i go about doing all this?

3 Answers

  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    I live in NY (so it might be different in Alabama), but if you have a child up here you're automatically considered an adult in the eyes of the law, and are free to do whatever you want. If I were you, I'd contact a social worker/counselor at school, if your school has any, and ask him or her about your options. They might know better, but here in NY at least you're automatically an adult through having a child or getting married.

    Good luck, I hope everything works out for you! Keep your chin up, and don't let your family bother you. You're a beautiful person :)!!

    Add: Hotwheel, actually I'm not dead wrong. At least not in NY. I myself was emancipated at the age of 17. If you have a child, whether or not people consider you responsible is irrelevant, having a child automatically makes you an adult. Getting married or enlisting in the military has the same result. Also, the age of adulthood in the US is 18, not 19. That's why you can vote at 18. Once you turn 18, you don't need to apply for emancipation either, you are just an adult.

    I think if you want to leave the house you should leave. Leaving my house was the best decision I ever made. My family was abusive, and it was a tight spot, but I was able to pay for college because FAFSA gave me a free ride because I was no longer a dependent, and made very little, but the very little I made working my part time job after school was enough to pay for my apartment which was about 300$ per month. If you have a boyfriend and you're serious with him, you should move in with him, and see if you can make it work, but only if you are really unhappy. It won't be easy at all, but if you both work very hard you can make it happen. I did.

    Source(s): personal experience of a 23 yr old. left the house at 17, and never went back :)
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

    first of all: first answer is dead wrong..... a judge wont automatically emancipate you for having a child....

    you have to prove you are responsible and getting knocked up shows a LACK of responsibility

    second: you have to be at least 18 to apply for emancipation because the age of adulthood is 19.

    third: you have to prove you are self sufficient and you have not stated anything about having a full time job to support not only yourself but your child.

    you cannot gain any financial help from friends, family or the government, yes this includes your bf

    listed below is a link with all the information you will need for emancipation.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

    You get parental permission to get married.

    Otherwise you have no hope of getting emancipated. The first requirement to even apply for emancipation is that you have to be fully financially independent. You are not. Your parents and boyfriend support you.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.