Aussies....What kind of Lizard could this be...?

I live in suburbia Sydney, no bush etc., however I have spotted this large looking lizard a couple of times over the past few months in my backyard. It is living in behind my shed, where there are overgrown bushes. It is not a blue tongue or frilled neck - in fact it has quite a distinctive look of its own. Its quite large (maybe 35-40cm long) four legs, but has a distinct tail. Rather than its tail petering off to a long thin one, its quite large and stumpy. The best way I can describe it, is that its the shape of a long thick cactus (stump or penis) I have searched google sites but cant seem to find one that resembles a tail like this - so weird - I've never seen anything like it. Does anyone know what it could be..??

I would almost go as far as to say, that it looks like a small komodo dragon - but this thick set stumpy tail is baffling me.

• zafir
    Favorite Answer

What you describe is probably a Shingleback Lizard. These grow to around 40 cms, have a stumpy tail, are related to blue tongued lizards, and are very common in the Sydney area. This link has a photo. http://australianmuseum.net.au/Shingleback-Lizard

It definitely sounds like a stumpy tail lizard. It is out of its natural range and may be an escaped pet.

• NickiM

Try Googling 'Stumpy Tail Lizard' or "Bob-Tailed Blue Tongue (aka Shingleback)" and see if that's it.

Source(s): I've had plenty of pet lizards

on the start it regarded like a bearded dragon. then as quickly as I observed it circulate it regarded like a skink. i'm very very nearly effective it truly is a southern alligator lizard. it truly is unquestionably one of those skink and that they are community to california. Google image it... it seems same!

I also agree with shingleback. We had one in our garden in Adelaide earlier this week, but they call them sleepy lizards here.

Was it Julia Gillard? We know her tail is large and stumpy.

P.s. I agree with Zafir, it's probably a Shingeback. I've had a couple in my yard over the years (Sydney).

Gillard lives behind your shed ? lol Sheeze , I used to be fond of nature ...now I'm not so sure !

Source(s): J...