Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

♦♦♦Can a meme be evil?♦♦♦?

Evil meme is evil.

Update:

Pants- are you wearing pants right now? *Christian side hug* Mwah!♥

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If so deemed and labeled. Declarationism... "consensus reality".

Dennet and Dawkins might note that memes seem to alter their hosts behavior to promote their own survival. They might also note that we alter the meme to promote the meme's survival.

I would note Lefty and David Rea's First Law of Evolution. (... F ... f ... F...) Form derives from function, which derives from form, which derives from function...

If a meme is treated as alive in this sense, it is no more evil or good than a gene trying to replicate.

Meme is meme is meme is meme.

Source(s): TED Talks, Daniel Dennett, "Dangerous Memes" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzGjEkp772s
  • 9 years ago

I don't think so. Memes are not conscious. They might be dangerous, but not evil. For the same reason, a smallpox virus particle is dangerous, but not evil.

Someone who consciously and intentionally infects someone else with smallpox might be evil. Same thing for some one who consciously and intentionally infects someone else's mind with a dangerous meme.

--

Regards,

John Popelish

• 4 years ago

mmm ur profile pic tho

• 9 years ago

Well, it would have to actually encourage people to be bad...

"greed is good" qualifies in my opinion.

No. It's not. It's a defect in character, actually.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Oh no you don't *turns you forward, shoves my face in your bosom and squeezes you*

That's the stuff!

• 9 years ago

Awww jeepers (((Dawnkey))),that's a bunch of STUFF..

EDIT..*sorry for the language*...

• Naw...

Its originator could be a real jerk, though.

Source(s): ...unless of course the meme's name is "evil." Or, if Evel Kinevel was the meme. That'd be cool, 'cause memes with jet-propulsion are cool.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

OHHH YOU! You and your questions! I love them.. AND I LOVE YOU!

Hmm... Goodnight?

• Is a meme a cookie???

COOOKIEEEES!!!! YUM, YUM, YUM, YUM!!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.