Stance on abortion based on belief?

It seems most people (until recently, mine too) stance on abortion is motivated by belief or religion, not on fact and reason. Pro-choice is under the belief that it is a woman's body, thus her choice, but this is not true, nor found in the law. If someone tries to commit suicide, they can have their rights... show more It seems most people (until recently, mine too) stance on abortion is motivated by belief or religion, not on fact and reason.

Pro-choice is under the belief that it is a woman's body, thus her choice, but this is not true, nor found in the law. If someone tries to commit suicide, they can have their rights taken away, as well as other self-destructive behaviors.

Prolife is under the false notion that taking life, is murder. This is not true because if a person is brain-dead, you can take that person off of life support.

So what does constitute murder in normal circumstances? It is the killing a sentient human life. In all other circumstance, we know this, but we seem to lose our mind with abortion and take absurd stances, that cannot be applied to the rest of humanity.

So my view on abortion has changed to:
Abortion should be permissible up until the point of the fetus becoming sentient life (probably around 5-6 months, but doctors can determine this). At this point it should only be allowed in cases of saving the mother's life.

We need to be determining this based upon our laws and science, NOT beliefs.

You can point at the Bible or Koran, but there is no passage in the entirety of the Bible or Koran that discusses abortion. The one used for contraception is OT and seriously reading into the passage as it actually deals with disobeying God.

You can point at rights, but the rights of people stop at interferring with the rights of sentient human life. Plus a newborn is reliant, yet killing a newborn is murder.

I realize this is a stance that will likely anger both sides (which is a sign it is right), but if we are forcing our beliefs on others, instead of law, logic and reason, how can we protest when they want to force their beliefs on us?
Update: Morbo,
So you believe you are always wrong? Its a generality, and this is an example. When you split a piece of cake between two kids, you know you are right when both thinks they didn't get enough. As I said, it is a sign, but not the only sign.
Update 2: Everad, In your ridiculous rant, you forgot to mention that choice is still allowed up to ~5-6 months. Further you forgot to notice that my entire view is based upon SCIENCE, NOT RELIGION. You also apparently did not notice some atheists agree. Are they pawns of the religious right as well?
Update 3: Grandbabies, My fist is my body, but if I make the decision to hit another person, it is assault. If you want to make the "my body" argument then make a real argument, not some catch-phrase. There may be things I have not thought of, that would change my opinion or the opinion of others, but everyone has... show more Grandbabies,
My fist is my body, but if I make the decision to hit another person, it is assault. If you want to make the "my body" argument then make a real argument, not some catch-phrase. There may be things I have not thought of, that would change my opinion or the opinion of others, but everyone has heard that catch phrase.
Update 4: Morbo, As a parent I rarely have time to got to those lengths for every decision. I've acknowledged it is a generality and not always true. Narathzul, I agree it is fuzzy. For the unclear cases (which currently make up <1.4%) there is likely some general cognition test a doctor could perform.... show more Morbo,
As a parent I rarely have time to got to those lengths for every decision. I've acknowledged it is a generality and not always true.

Narathzul,
I agree it is fuzzy. For the unclear cases (which currently make up <1.4%) there is likely some general cognition test a doctor could perform. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_termin...
Update 5: Morbo, "I'm right all the time" That is what you said. I said "So you believe you are always wrong?" Clearly you think you are right when you say something and likely you think you are usually right, otherwise you would not say it. My logical point is that unless you think you are usually... show more Morbo,
"I'm right all the time" That is what you said. I said "So you believe you are always wrong?" Clearly you think you are right when you say something and likely you think you are usually right, otherwise you would not say it. My logical point is that unless you think you are usually wrong, you actually agree with me, based upon your logic.
Update 6: 7 of 9, Every time I masturbate, every sperm could become life. So is masturbation murder? Txgrrl, I have seen the serious suffering of the terminally ill, so I respectfully disagree with your rabbi, while still respecting his view on the value of life. I understand your view on the issue being colored by your... show more 7 of 9,
Every time I masturbate, every sperm could become life. So is masturbation murder?

Txgrrl,
I have seen the serious suffering of the terminally ill, so I respectfully disagree with your rabbi, while still respecting his view on the value of life. I understand your view on the issue being colored by your religion, but should your view on the rights of others be colored by religion?
Update 7: Narathzul,
Good point and I agree.
Update 8: Morbo,
Celebratory yeahh