Barefoot Employee? Illegal?

Would it be illegal or a health code violation if I decided to go to work barefoot? I work at Burger King by the way. I very much dislike shoes and i'm a 22yo guy with attractive feet and toes. So would it be ok if I left my shoes and socks at home and went to work barefoot? Or could I get fined or fired?

Favorite Answer

BK is one of the most barefoot UNfriendly companies around. Remember they're the ones who kicked out a woman carrying a barefoot two year old.

There is not health code requiring shoes in any restaurant. Why would there be? Your feet are probably cleaner than your shoes. They'll pretty much remain on the floor and it's not likely you'll be "handling" food with your feet.

OSHA does have requirements for shoes where there is a likelihood of stepping on objects capable of injuring the foot, where the walking surface is likely to require additional traction, and steel toed shoes are required where workers are likely to have something fall onto their foot. I read the OSHA regs about footwear a couple of years ago and it struck me as odd that you could work barefoot in a freezer or on burning coals and be in compliance.

Your manager would undoubtedly send you to go get shoes and dock you for missed time. He might even fire you depending on BK's policy and how he decides to handle it.

Wear the shoes to BK and start looking for another job. You may not find one that will let you work barefoot but you'll probably find better pay and more interesting work elsewhere.

They'd probably tell you to go home and put on some shoes. I'm pretty sure it is a sanitary violation in most states for employees but it really depends on the location. There's also the risk of, say, dripping scalding hot grease on your feet or slipping on a wet floor.

restaurants require shoes... even the people who are purchasing must have shoes in order to be inside the store

health codes are one issue

possible injury is another issue

most restaurants even dictate what type of shoe you wear... they must be the ones designed for restaurant work that are non-slip even when the floor is a bit wet

you would leave your employer no choice but to tell you that you must leave immediately & can not come back until you have proper footwear

No state health department has ever had any health code rules about footwear, but OSHA might require special footwear for worker safety in certain work places where they identify a specific hazard.

properly i'm maximum certain that it must be unlawful to be operating at Burger King barefoot, fairly in case you artwork in the kitchen or the eating room. also you pick solid solid shoes to be operating there. some thing heavy ought to fall on your ft and also you need to heavily harm your ft. you gained't be fired in case you're taking position to artwork barefoot once, yet you need to get written up.

At Buger King, yes, that would violate health code. It's also an OSHA safety violation.

You will be fired.

• Bunny

Sounds like you need a job that allows you to be barefoot:

Karate/martial arts instructor

lifeguard

yoga instructor

modeling

gymnastics instructor

• Judy

You'd almost certainly be fired.