'Dry' snorkels and purge valves?

Hello,

I'm starting to play underwater hockey and find that regular snorkels get a lot of splash with surface swimming (or lots of commotion on the surface) when I'm breathing hard and have no time to deal with water in the mouthpiece.

I've tested a dry snorkel out and it seems to stop all surface splash, GREAT... however with every dive then blow (clearing) I find a little water remains in my mouth piece. Thus when I take my breath, half a mouthful of water comes bubbling in with the new air, stopping everything for me. QUESTION: Is this little bit of water there because the water doesn't fully exit through the mouthpiece purge valve with a blow? During a blow, does any water also exit the 'dry' valve at the top of the snorkel? Maybe I just have to blow harder?

QUESTION: Are there 'dry' snorkels, without a purge valve, which allow a full blow clearing? Perhaps regular snorkels, with just a rudimentary splash guard which only do a half-job of splash protection, but still allow for traditional blow clearing and no purge valve business?

Provide some product examples if you can! (For me and future readers)

Thanks!

Seems like Cressi has a regular snorkel with a plain splash guard, and no purge valve!

http://www.cressi.it/Catalogue/Details.asp?id=441

Any comments on this?

• tjs282
    Favorite Answer

There's no such thing as a 100% 'dry' snorkel -- at least, not one that's easy to breathe through -- since all snorkels have to be open to the air (i.e. the water), and have a relatively non-convoluted airflow path (to minimise turbulence and dead space).

Snorkels without self-drains are most easily cleared by displacement as you return to the surface after a dive, rather than blast-clearing at the surface -- but that isn't so practical in a relatively shallow (2 m, 6 ft) pool environment, since it's difficult to get the open end of the snorkel lower than the mouthpiece (necessary for displacement clearing to work) unless you are vertical and looking up at the surface. So in my opinion, a self-draining snorkel would be better for playing underwater hockey, since blast-clearing a self-drainer requires much less effort.

That said, given no additional action from you, so-called 'dry' snorkels with one-way self-drain valves will only drain to the external water level -- so they'll only self-drain completely if you lift your mouth (and hence the valve) right out of the water. Blast-clearing a drain-valve snorkel _should_ push out any remaining water in the U-tube below the mouthpiece (either through the valve, or out of the top), but your next inhalation should still be cautious, using your tongue as a splashguard. Difficult as that is during a fast-paced game, inhaling water will slow you down even more!

If your current self-drain snorkel is not working well, then maybe one of these:

http://www.simplyscuba.com/departments/Snorkelling...

might be better for you.

Source(s): Former full-time scuba instructor (PADI # 609394)

Snorkel Purge Valve