Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

Whats up with circumcisions? Why are we still performing this pagan ritual?

Stupidism - so you think its okay to mutilate childern based on a outdated belief?

Red - take a look at this.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=circumcision+profit...

Would you support vaginal circumcisions? Its a fact that females are more likely to be in contact to infections. Do you really think that extra foreskin increases the chances of contacting aids?

Feievel -

Why is this even an argument when the science and weight of evidence makes this whole deal rather clear.. I'm assuming it's because people simply want to support a notion that is appealing to them.... that whether or not they had this procedure can be grounded and justified by the science at hand.

The only benefits of circumcision exist in an envrionment where there is an ABSENCE of hygiene or if someone is among the unlucky and very small minority who experience complications that can be addressed via surgical intervention... that being circumcision. OTHERWISE it's simply a matter of aesthetics, religious dogma, prevailing culture.

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) is a trade association that promotes the financial and business interests of its members. It has collaborated with two other trade associations, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the American Academy of Family Doctors to promote a surgical operation from which their me

members profit.

The perforrmance of circumcision on 54 percent of American newborn boys brings in $1.25 billion. If they could increase the 54 percent to 100 percent, they would bring in more than $2.25 billion.

Favorite Answer

Interesting to see that South and Central America, all of Europe and Russia are more enlightened than the USA.

• Feivel

Sorry, I don't get my education from You Tube.

If you don't like it, don't have it done to yourself or your son. Why do you feel the need to tell everyone else how to act and what to believe based upon your own ideas?

The American Academy of Pediatrics has stated the benefits outweigh the risks and this was after a detailed study from 1995-2010. The American Academy of Pediatrics statement was issued August 27, 2012 and is a matter of public record as is the data collected form the study.

However, I am sure if you write them and give them a couple of You Tube links and tell them that you, the Yahoo Answers user known as "Strict Discipline" says its mutilation and a pagan outdated belief, they will change their conclusions and throw out that 15 year study....just because you said they should (insert extreme sarcasm here)

• Pigfat

Mainly two reasons.

The first reason is that it is tradition.

The second reason is that if you don't wash yourself regularly it is cleaner to have a circumcised penis.

In other words, if you aren't a traditional type of person and you take a shower every day, you really shouldn't be circumcised.

Do you really think this is a major problem with the world? If you do, then you are seriously blinded and a lot worse off than someone without their foreskin.

Source(s): Monkey Man Dog
  • Deni

I second Fievel's comments.

I am so glad that Fievel noted that he was being sarcastic. Anyone who thinks that circumcision is just some pagan ritual might not realise that.

You may think it is mutilation but most people think it looks better. Not only does it improve health but it improves sex.

Nothing indicates your love of god more than mutilating the genitals of your children. Clearly the Cathos take that a bit far, but they really are only following god's example.

• Red

The world health organization is encouraging it to reduce the spread of HIV.

As a circumcised male, I can say that I don't need any more sensitivity in that area and I like that it has health benefits. On the female side, I do not agree with this and neither is there any support for it in the Bible, while the Bible does speak positively towards male circumcision.

If WHO thinks it is a good idea, it isn't mutilation of male children or outdated in any respect. It is a medical practice with real health benefits.

• E P

It is a medical procedure.

• judaism...