How does the ticket scalping business work? 10 points?

How do those ticket scalpers at baseball games, for example, make money? And how much do they make? I feel like when I buy scalped tickets I buy many if not most of them for below face value. Where do they get all these tickets? Do a big group of people get together and get season tickets? I feel like it would be... show more How do those ticket scalpers at baseball games, for example, make money? And how much do they make? I feel like when I buy scalped tickets I buy many if not most of them for below face value. Where do they get all these tickets? Do a big group of people get together and get season tickets? I feel like it would be hard to make steady cash or turn a nice profit scalping.
Update: I can understand that with a concert you know will sell out. But I can't tell you how many times I have strolled up to a baseball or hockey game in my city very close to gametime and bought cheap tickets paying less than face value, maybe paying face value at most. They are selling cheap to get rid of them... show more I can understand that with a concert you know will sell out. But I can't tell you how many times I have strolled up to a baseball or hockey game in my city very close to gametime and bought cheap tickets paying less than face value, maybe paying face value at most. They are selling cheap to get rid of them because it is better than not selling them at all.