How do I file my 2011 taxes in 2012?

I need my federal income taxes for 2011, as records for financial aid for my college. I don't want to go to H&R Block or something like that, and drop $500 to get them done. I'm 19, I'm only getting about $80 back (state&federal together) anyways. Should I go online and buy a Turbo-Tax 2011 or something? Because used is about $40 and I only need the federal. I don't care about the state filing, they can keep their $40 for all I care.

• tro
    Favorite Answer

you don't want to ignore your state return

and you can efile until Mon. on most of the web sites that offer it, especially www.irs.gov--free

You cannot decide not to file state just because you have a low refund. The state has a filing requirement and if you fall into that you must file your state. Once you file your return you are looking at @6 weeks for a transcript which the school wants for the financial aid. Certainly you can do Turbo Tax. If all you have a a w2 and nothing else H&R Block's cost is under 100.

• hong

you may’t; according to annum stands through itself. you're able to desire to report a 2011 federal tax return, a 2011your state return as long as youshould report your state demands a return and then a 2012 federal and your state returns.

You do not have to spend anything. You can get the forms from http://www.irs.gov and do it yourself, for free.

• Judy

Go to www.irs.gov and click on freefile on the right.