Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 7 years ago

Do employers who complain, "You can't find anyone who wants to work anymore," not realize that.?

If you want high quality employees who will stick with you, you have to be prepared to pay a competitive wage, and treat people with respect. No one will want to work for you if you pay them next to nothing, then treat them like dirt?

It amazes me how some people think they can come in asking for help finding someone who has a college degree, owns their own car (and is prepared to travel even though they won't be compensated for mileage), has no criminal record, has at least two years experience, AND is willing to start for $8.50 an hour...do these people have any connection to reality?

Update:

@ night of the zombie - part of my problem is my job involves sending people out to interview with the employers who come in saying they're looking for people. Half the employers who come in to say they're looking for people are such useless half-wit douche-bags that I can't -in good conscious- send anyone to speak to them.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Best Answer

lol... nope...

also, these employers don't realize that SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO TRAIN PEOPLE... AND EVERYONE'S JUST NOT GOING TO COME MAGICALLY PRETRAINED READY TO WORK DAY ONE...

we used to have apprenticeships and understudies in the world... not anymore... just get ONE guy that knows how to do it and if he leaves... WE'RE SCR*WED... but who cares, right? lol...

when that guy leaves... then they care...

and you know what... they end up usually WAY OVERPAYING for someone who DOESN'T REALLY KNOW HOW TO DO THE JOB... who is just good at interviewing...

then guess what... they come on here to cry about how they can't find anyone... lol

• 7 years ago

Right On!!!!!!!!!! There is always a greed factor in any monetary transaction. The employers want to make as much $$$$$$$$$$ as possible while paying minimal wages. They lose good employees because of this and end up taking the 'bottom of the barrel" just to keep their business going. There is usually a baseline salary from which to start. The baseline is usually offered so that the employee can demonstrate his/her skill sets as well as their commitment to the job. However, the potential employee needs to be cognizant of his/her skill sets and do they fit with the advertised job. If not, then reconsider going elsewhere especially if the job requires significant academic achievement and or skill sets that are vital to the employer.

• 7 years ago

I only got $7 / hr after i graduated with a computer science degree.

That was in the 1980's. I could have gotten a job for $30K / yr working on mainframes. But, chose a lesser paying job to learn how to program IBM PC's. I worked my a$$ off, and after about 3 years went from $7/hr to $44K / yr.

But, yeah... start at the bottom, learn some skills, and then you will be worth more money. A college graduate doesn't know anything useful to the employer. The employer will lose money for at least a year, and hopefully the employee will learn something and become useful.

• y
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

They can expect that because right now, they have the power thanks to employment pool. If the pool dries up like it has done in the past, then they are forced to pay higher wages and offer more benefits.It is the way it has always been. Wait until this things starts to turn around and they have to pay the new guy more then they are paying that person that stuck with them for all the crap years.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Erik
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Employees also went and lumped lots of jobs together. So now instead of just asking for someone with marketing experience, you need HR experience as well - which is a whole new kind of worker. In order to cut costs they may be asking for more than most people have experience to provide.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

You mean, a wage higher than minimum wage? Well then whats the point of minimum wage if you don't want it?

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

I'd take that job if the company payed for long traveling trips.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

You're one of those people who thinks a college graduate should start out making $80,000/year. Aren't you?

• 7 years ago

Pizza delivery is not a high skill job. hehehe

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.