I am going to Qatar this year?

This year I will be going to Qatar for a school field trip. I am obviously a female and will be the only one on the trip. Could you guys give me a bit of info on Qatar on women, food, people, tourism, history?

I looked on google but I just wanted a little more info!

Thanks!

Emily

I forgot to say that I will be going to Doha!

Favorite Answer

Qatar is relatively liberal. The dress code for outside of beaches and pools is shoulders covered, and skirt/shorts no less than one inch above the knee. In beaches and pools, normal swimwear is allowed. Women in Qatar drive, attend university, hold political office, and can work in any industry. Food is like anywhere else in the Gulf pretty much. Lots of grilled meat and rice. People is the interesting part. The population is 85% foreigners living there semi-temporarily, and local Qataris only make up 15% of the population. So its very diverse. Tourism is pretty average. Its not really a big tourist destination, the main reason being the lack of reliable public transportation until the metro is complete in 2019. Until then, people rely on driving their cars, taxis, and buses which are considered unfriendly to some people. Qatar's history is pretty bleak. The only interesting thing is that it is suspected Ali Baba's cave was actually located in Qatar, and the fabled unicorn originated from Qatar.

Here are some sites I found in Doha:

Museum of Islamic Art

Corniche (which means waterfront)

Katara Cultural Village and Beach

The Pearl artificial island

Various shopping malls, the most unique being Villaggio

Old forts by Zekreet

Many beaches

Have fun!

not much to do or look at after u have lived in dubai .

they have similar developments like in dubai .

worth seeing is the PEARL development.

also the educational university and its campus is good having some reputed colleges and courses.

food and life is similar to dubai on a little smaller scale

Source(s): personal visit