How should a landlord give 24 hour notice?

We'll be moving soon and landlord will probably need to show the place to prospective tenants while we're still here. I am a bit worried he'll show up unexpectedly without me getting the notice in time, and concerned about other related things as well. I want to be well aware of any laws regarding this issue. I'm in Ohio.

==What is the proper, legal way for him to give 24 hour notice? Written mailed letter, note taped to door, email, answering machine message, etc. what is considered acceptable?

==Does the 24 hours start at the time he sent/left notice, or at the time I actually receive it?

==Do I have to acknowledge the notice for it to count? example:he calls & leaves a message. do I have to call him back to let him know I got it and that it's okay, or is his duty fulfilled by just leaving the message period?

==If my internet is down and I can't get online to check my email, does it still count that he sent it even if I didn't receive it?

==Am I allowed to say 'no, that's not a good day for me' or do I absolutely have to accept the time/date of his choosing? Currently have the flu & wouldn't think it's good to show the place while I'm puking :) or contagious for that matter!

==I don't necessarily have to be home, right? Thing is, I have a dog & cat that I don't want him disturbing or letting out.

==Are there any restrictions in regards to hours? Is he allowed to bring people over at 9pm or 8am?

Some of these may be common courtesy but he does not have any, so legal answers by the book are best. I'm not going to avoid communication or give him a hard time, still want my security deposit back! But have to be informed on how things are supposed to happen.

Thank you in advance.

OK--it's the time he gives notice and not the time I receive it. Got it, thanks! But if he leaves a note, how do I know what time he left it? He's not above lying...that plus his shoving me is why I'm leaving. What if he mails a letter, and it arrives the day of his intended visit (or later)? Does it go by the postmarked date or what?

Best Answer

Any form is acceptable. Note, phone, text, email.

Time starts when it is given, not when it is received, there is no way to know when it is received. It does not even have to be received, not the landlords problem.

No acknowledgment is required. it is always "OK" WTF are you to say otherwise? It is not your property.

In no state can the landlord require you to be there. They have control over their property only, not your life.

Some states do limit time, usually 7 am to 8 pm, but that is only a few. most say nothing.

Hope this helps. About entering the condo Unit Entry with out written observe A landlord can enter a tenant’s condominium unit without written discover if: there may be an emergency similar to a hearth, the tenant has the same opinion to let the owner in, a care house tenant has agreed in writing that the owner can are available to verify on their condition at general intervals. A landlord can enter a apartment unit with out written discover, between eight a.M. And 8 p.M. If: the condominium contract requires the owner to scrub the unit – unless the agreement allows special hours for cleaning, the landlord or tenant has given a notice of termination, or they have an agreement to end the tenancy, and the owner desires to exhibit the unit to a capabilities new tenant (on this case, even though observe is just not required, the owner need to attempt to inform the tenant before entering therefore). Entry with 24 hours written realize A landlord can enter the apartment unit between eight a.M. And eight p.M., and only if they've given the tenant 24 hours written become aware of: to make repairs or do work in the unit, to carry out an inspection, the place cheap, so as to investigate whether repairs are needed, to allow a expertise mortgagee or insurer of the complicated to view the unit, to permit a skills buyer to view the rental unit (observe: the Act additionally enables a registered real estate agent or broker to enter for this motive if they have written authorization from the landlord), to enable an engineer, architect or other identical legitimate to make an inspection for a proposed conversion underneath the apartment Act; or for any cheap intent allowed via the apartment contract. The observe have to include the motive why the owner wishes to enter the apartment unit and have got to state what time, between eight a.M. And eight p.M., the landlord will enter the unit. If the landlord gives the tenant the correct observe, the owner can enter even if the tenant will not be at dwelling....

• LILL

1. All of the above. Notice just needs to be received by you.

2. Notice time begins when notice is given. If posted to your door and 8am, the landlord can enter anytime after 8 am the following day.

3. Your acknowledgement of notice is not required by law.

4. Yes it still counts. The landlord only needs to prove that notice was given. The fact that your Internet is down is irrelevant.

5. Ohio law does not allow you to deny access or does the law give you the option to be present.

6. Most landlords will show the property during normal business hour...however, some may want to do showing in the evening and on weekends.

Other answerers were right in saying that the 24 hr notice can be given in any manner of communication. You are allowed to say that it isn't a good time for you, and though he legally is allowed to ignore this and come in anyway, that isn't really good business or polite. He ought to think to himself, I'm showing a place to someone who I want to be interested in it, and I'm coming over at a time when the current tenant has clearly stated she doesn't want me there: that isn't good business. For all he knows, you might behave in an angry way that is off-putting to the prospective tenant.

I am a landlord and I always try to accomodate the needs of my departing tenants and show at times that are convenient for them, I consider that civil. Because I am a landlord in an area with very strong tenants' rights groups, and because many people are eager to file a lawsuit at the slightest annoyance or upset, if a tenant told me he or she didn't want me to show his/her apartment at all until he/she moved out, I would not try to enter that apartment. I would not risk the legal liability, even though my lease clearly states that I have the right to enter the premises with 24 hr notice to show it to prospective tenants, and having to wait until someone moves to show the place inconveniences me and causes me to lose income. I choose to be cautious. IN areas with less strong tenants' rights groups, landlords may not need to be as cautious as I am.

Source(s): I'm a landlord in California.
  • Flower

It is up to the landlord when he wants to come in whether you are there or not. He has to do it at his convenience and the new tenant's convenience. You should check and make sure Ohio even requires advance notice. The time starts from when he posts the notice.

-Written. Can post on door.

-When posted, but if it's close to 24 hours, he's fine.

-No, you don't. He doesn't need your OK. All he needs is to notify you he is coming. AFter that, he needs niether your permission or presence.

- yes, it does. Your internet issue is not his problem

- You may say that, he is not obligated to take it into account.

- No, you don't have to be home. You can be, but he doesn't need you to be.

- usually state law specifies "reasonable times". 8 am would be reasonable. 9 pm probably not.