C. asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 8 years ago

Environmental Engineering Bacherlors or Masters?

I already have a Bacherlors of Architecture. 5-year, 175 credit degree, did it in 4 years.

Very interested in pursuing Environmental Engineering, not sure which route to go since I don't have an engineering degree and perhaps if I do pursue a Bachelors it might get too expensive and no financial aid available.

So, I don't know if I might still have to take undergrad courses prior to the masters but if I do, it might take me the same time as a doing a masters. If I do a masters I would go full-time.

Please provide me with feedback also on programs that incorporate urban development.

Thank you in advance!

2 Answers

  • Favorite Answer

    How long into your architecture program did you realize that you wanted to do environmental engineering, just out of curiousity?

    If you intend to get your environmental engineering degree at the same educational institution that you got your architecture degree at, go get a course requirements list for the environmental engineering and architecture degrees, and make a comparison. There may be some architecture courses, or just general education, that you can transfer over to your environmental engineering program so that you can earn the degree faster. Your environmental engineering program may require you to attempt or pass the FE exam and get your EIT (engineer in training) or EI (engineer intern) certification before you obtain your bachelor of science degree.

    A master of science will help you advance faster to a managerical role and be able to function in a higher capacity, and you can be more technically adaptable. At the masters level you will be expected to solve more complex problems than what you would face in an undergraduate class. You could be more likely to train new engineers as they step on board at the place you work at, depending on the company. Also, while pursuing a master of science degree, you could do research in a certain area of environmental engineering, get your thesis published and be able to get some decent research grants, fellowships or other financial aid to help you along the way.

    Oh, and one more important thing. If you earn a master of science in engineering at an ABET accredited institution after your bachelors degree, you can earn more experience towards obtaining your professional engineer license. In the state of Nevada's case, a master of science or Ph.D. degree counts for two additional years of experience towards your professional engineer license; each state will have their own requirements, look to the state board of engineers and land surveyors for the facts.

  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

    So theres 2 situations and they both remember upon the college. the first, and likely is that you could't get in to a masters in engineering because your undergrad degree in reality 0 instructions in straightforward with engineering. the second one situation is that the college helps you to in, yet makes you're taking a TON of history instructions previously you could commence to take the really masters in environmental engineering instructions. they could attempt this in reality only for the money. As a grad student you need to pay extra plus they could ensure you'd be there for a at the same time as.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.