Seller doing their own termite inspection?

I put in an offer on a home and the seller has performed their own termite inspection. My bank requires me to do my own. Am I wrong for feeling like they might have a termite issue and try to resolve it before accepting the offer or is it a matter of trusting the company I choose? Why would the seller do that?

Update:

I'm in Florida, if that even matters.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

you should hire your own inspector. How can you trust the seller's inspector? the seller is paying their fee so guess who that inspector owes their allegiance to. they may have hired one just to get an idea if there is a problem.

• 7 years ago

If the bank requires an independent inspection and you want their investment, then you simply must comply. In some places, inspection is regulated and it is common for the seller to supply a report. In others, doing so could be a huge risk.

What you really need to know is whther the place has (i) concealed damage, (ii) ongoing infestation, (iii) a higher than usual risk and/or (iv) an unusually high need for ongoing expense. An inspector following the Australian Code of Practice for Prior to Purchase Timber Pest Inspection will tell you these things.

• jenna
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

The seller is always responsible to pay for termite treatment. It's not a law, but it's the customary norm in real estate. My inspection revealed that termites had been there in the past but had been dormant for several years. I was told once they've been, there is a great chance of them returning and so my seller was told to do a $1200 treatment and pay for terminix coverage for 1 year (for me). Maybe your seller just wants to be prepared if they are told they need to pay for treatment, they want to know before hand if they will need this and how much it will cost so they aren't blind sided by the buyer's demand.

• Bill
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

You will have to comply with the banks requirements if you want the loan. Perhaps the seller had prior problems with termites and had the property inspected before listing it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Rob
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Hell-o NO Termite inspections by owner are worthless.

Understand?

Termite inspections by licensed inspectors will tell

u if the house if worth fire wood or housing.

google inspectors in your area, interview some

b4 paying for one.

good knowledge is good luck.

Source(s): builder, landlord
  • 7 years ago

Why would it be bad if they were trying to resolve an issue beforehand?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.