Are Cake Mate icings vegan?

Specifically the red, orange, and yellow ones?

Favorite Answer

The ingredients off of a 4 color pack (blue, green, yellow and red)are as follows:

Sugar, Water, Corn Syrup, Maltodextrin, Cornstarch, Glycerin, Natural And Artificial Flavor, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Soybean, Cottonseed), Sodium Alginate, Titanium Dioxide (Color), Salt, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Citric Acid, Calcium Sulfate, Yellow 5, Mono- And Diglycerides, Red 40, Blue 1, Polysorbate 60, Red 3.

Anything using glycerol aka glycerine or glycerin may contain animal products. Raw materials used to make glycerol include animal fats, such as beef tallow, and vegetable oils, such as coconut and soybean. Mono and Diglycerides use glycerol in it's production and may also contain beef tallow, lard or vegetable fats.

Most companies have no idea what their additives contain or were derived from. They often just assemble ingredients to form products per se.

Generally research shows that it is more expensive to use vegetable fats and animal fats tend to be used in the product of glycerol and glycerol containing products.

The icings are probably NOT vegan. I would assume it isn't unless it specifically is labeled vegan or that it uses vegetable based glycerin and vegetable based mono and diglcyerides.

We will need more information to answer this question. What are the ingredients? Their website does not list what is in their products. I can bet that they will have mono & diglycerides in them.... I have not found a commercial prepared icing without them. If you are unsure, call or email the company and ask.

Sorry I could not help you more.

In the superstore, fruits are usually selected much too soon. Some are rocks, many are bitter. Some of the fresh vegetables are generally right (zucchini, onions, garlic, lettuce, greens, and a few others) so I'd have to go with vegetables.

Fruits are identified as ripened flower ovaries which produce seeds.

Check the labels. If there is gelatin in them, NO. Gelatin is an animal product.