Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 7 years ago

Was Romney not thinking of the NPR crowd backlash when he said he wanted to kill NPR?

National Public Radio's news program All Things Considered has 35 million unique listeners per week. Popular weekend programs like Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, Radio Lab and This American Life rate higher than ANY cable news television program. Many moderates and even many conservatives enjoy popular programs like Car Talk and Prairie Home Companion. NPR is also a favorite of many who work in the transportation industry, as the 88.3 and 89.9 frequencies are common NPR stations all across the country.

After Romney loses the November elections, will pundits be citing his alienation of NPR listeners (one of the most politically active demographics in America) as a reason for his loss?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

So you mean he might lose all 9 NPR listeners????

OUCHIE...

I would get rid of PBS and the DOE and EPA Federal level and return all that money used by those departments back to the States... Things always run better at State level where the people there can keep a watchful eye on the EPA and DOE...

Source(s): ♫♫♫♫♫ Every breath you take … He’ll be Taxing you… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRRsfCD1Bh0
  • Torgo
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

I listen to NPR and I wish everyone else did, too. I started listening regularly about a year ago and I found it isn't biased like certain people say it is. There are plenty of stories that back up what conservatives say and I'm surprised that Fox News doesn't cover some of the stories that NPR airs that make the president look bad.

• 7 years ago

I am a faithful NPR listener but I am also not so dense as think it doesn't have a liberal slant. About 12 years ago they propped up a polling org to say they were the most unbiased news outlet(even claiming they were more conservative than FOX news), radio or tv until KFI radio exposed them.

Like another poster said, they have a big enough listening audience, they don't need public funding

• Ralph
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

First of all, he didn't mention NPR. He said he wanted to cut funding to PBS. NPR and PBS are not the same thing.

Second, the didn't say he wanted to kill it. He said he wanted it to pay for itself. By the way, Sesame Street would easily survive if taxpayer support were withdrawn. It is already massively profitable with it's toys, books, videos, etc.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Why should the government borrow money from China, increase the Nat'l Debt, so you can watch Big Bird????

Let NPR get sponsors, or ask for donations .... or close down!!

NObama in 2012!

• 7 years ago

We are 16 trillion dollars in debt! 16 trillion! Can you even imagine what that much money would look like? And what does the average American think of cutting anything that might affect him/her to try not to go deeper in the hole? The average American would not even do without antiques roadshow! Words like spoiled and entitled don't even begin to describe this.

• 7 years ago

Romney was correct. If the viewing audience is so large as you claim, than let them pay for it, you know like tv advertising.

FYI President Romney is already in the house, we're just going through the formalities.

• Doug
    Lv 4
    7 years ago

NPR is for smart, educated, informed people...

Our Congress give speeches that are on a 10th grade reading level.

• 7 years ago

He never said it

NPR's federal funds are just a little part (Federal, State and Local Gov funds: 4.6%) of the total amount of donations.

http://www.npr.org/about/aboutnpr/publicradiofinan...

• 7 years ago

If it's so well received, why is it necessary to force taxpayers who do NOT listen to it to fund it?

Sorry, bud, dig deep in your pockets and get another free tote bag.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.