What does it mean that top 20 percentile will be eligible for appearing in JEE mains? (10 points)?

I have heard that from 2013 onwards AIEEE's new name will be JEE mains and JEE (for IIT) new name will be JEE Advanced. So there will be two exams JEE mains and JEE advanced. JEE main for all colleges in India and JEE advanced for IITs. But I heard that top 20 percentile of all boards are eligible to appear... show more I have heard that from 2013 onwards AIEEE's new name will be JEE mains and JEE (for IIT) new name will be JEE Advanced.

So there will be two exams JEE mains and JEE advanced. JEE main for all colleges in India and JEE advanced for IITs. But I heard that top 20 percentile of all boards are eligible to appear for JEE mains.... Is it true? And if it is true - then what does it mean?

What does it mean by 20 percentile of all board? Approx how much percentage a student will have to score to come in top 20 percentile. And this top 20 percentile is for all boards combined or top 20 percentile students from each boards will be selected separately?

Ain't earlier student with 50% of score in 12th were eligible for appearing in AIEEE?

And somewhere I read that JEE mains is screening exam - what does it screening means? If someone don't wish to work for big institute like IIT - but if they wish to get admission in any state level college then what eligibility they should have?
1 answer