What is the United States?

Im writing an essay and one of my main points is that the united states is a democracy country............at least that is what I thought, after searching online some people say yes, some say no. Some say its republic. Also if it is democracy or republic would it be correct to say in my essay key points on how... show more Im writing an essay and one of my main points is that the united states is a democracy country............at least that is what I thought, after searching online some people say yes, some say no. Some say its republic.
Also if it is democracy or republic would it be correct to say in my essay key points on how democracy or republic has change the U.S by for example allowing women and african-americans the right to vote, freedom of speech, living free from dictators, or would that be irrelevant of what truley democracy or republic really is.
Thank you for the help