Marijuana Possession in South Carolina. HELP!!?

So I was driving 79 on I-20 in South Carolina when the posted speed was 65. I know I shouldn't have been going that fast but I was 30 minutes from my dorm after a 5 hour drive back from Atlanta. The officer told me that my car smelled like marijuana and asked me to show him what I had. I showed him my bowl and less than a gram of weed. He then gave me a $185 ticket for speeding along with a $612 ticket for possession. He also informed me that I need to go to court for both of the tickets on the same day and he might be able to help me reduce my sentence.

My questions are: will I serve jail time? Will my license be suspended? What else may happen?

BTW I have never had a ticket, been stopped, nor been convicted of any other crimes. I am an 18 year old college student.

I have a Georgia driver's license and the cop said my license may not be suspended. Is this true?

Favorite Answer

Simple Possession of Marijuana in South Carolina is a criminal misdemeanor for the unlawful possession of no more than 28 grams of marijuana. For a first offense it is punishable by a fine or up 30 days in the County jail. Further pursuant to S.C. Code § 56-1-745 anyone convicted must have their driver’s license suspended for six months. A second offense carries up to one years imprisonment.

In order to be convicted the State must prove that the defendant was in possession of the marijuana. This can be done through showing the defendant was in actual possession (such as in a pocket or purse), or in constructive possession (such as in a back bedroom or the trunk of a car).

The defendant must either have actual knowledge of the existence of the marijuana or the facts must show that the defendant’s possession was the result of criminal negligence. This means that even if the defendant did not actually know about the marijuana, but they should have known, they can still be guilty.

South Carolina Simple Possession of Marijuana cases are usually prosecuted in either a municipal (city) or Magistrate Court. A defendant is not automatically convicted by virtue of being arrested or receiving a marijuana citation. The defendant is entitled to all due process under the law available in other cases, to include a right to a jury trial and the presumption of innocence.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

So I was driving 79 on I-20 in South Carolina when the posted speed was 65. I know I shouldn't have been going that fast but I was 30 minutes from my dorm after a 5 hour drive back from Atlanta. The officer told me that my car smelled like marijuana and asked me to show him what I had. I showed...

Source(s): marijuana possession south carolina help: https://shortly.im/DUcPD
  • Marie

Pending on your state laws as the link provides. More than likely just a fine and maybe community service. Depends on the judge and his/her leniency. No jail time most likely.

You might want to call your Parent to help you out on this.. What I mean by help is to take you to the court and knowing what to do next and get you lawyer. Watch her/him so you'll know what to do next time.

Can be any family members to help you out.

****, that's rough

But no, you wont be given jail time, your license might be suspended, but i wouldnt worry much on that!