A asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 8 years ago

WW3 would be fought partly on US soil?

lets say problems with iran increase and lead to events that cause a world war 3 as theorized by some, having europe, russia, china, amongst others joining in- would the usa likey to become a battlefield?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Stuff would really have to hit the fan in order for WW3 to break out. But keep in mind the world still remembers WW1 and WW2, and doesn't exactly want to go into the next world war unless an alien invasion occurs (in which case we're probably screwed no matter what due to their superior technology and lack of Apple OS support to use against them).

But having an invasion of the US is highly unlikely for several reasons.

First, think of the logistics needed. How would you physically get your troops into the US mainland? Boats and planes moving en masse would be pretty easy to detect, and sink/shoot down. China may have a big army, but they lack the means (right now anyway) to move them beyond their borders in large numbers. Meanwhile the US can commandeer civilian ships and planes if they need to move US troops around quickly to hot spots around the world. The US is also vast, so hostile nations would have to attempt to invade all sides of the US simultaneously, which probably won't go very well due to their likely lack of coordination efforts.

Second, assuming a hostile nation somehow got some troops onto the US mainland. How are you going to support them? Again, the US would destroy any support planes/ships intended to give supplies/reinforcements to their front line troops. Not only that, they would also have to deal with a very well armed civilian populace, who will utilize their 2nd Amendment right to bear arms to its full extent. Red Dawn wouldn't of lasted very long if the writers allowed the civilians to fight back against the Russians as soon as they landed (of course, the movie would've ended in 15 minutes as well). You think gangsters are scary in the US? I'd imagine they'd stop shooting at each other at least long enough to help fight off the invading forces, particularly if said troops are indiscriminately shooting every US citizen they can.

A hostile country could try launching nuclear ICBM's onto major US cities. But by doing that, they just ensured the US will send their own nukes towards that country, hence making MAD doctrine come true (Mutually Assured Destruction, basically a form of "I'm taking you out with me"). Almost every nation with nukes have also said they would only use nukes if other countries did, and they probably still remember what happened in Hiroshima and Nagasaki in WW2. Yes, a rogue terrorist with no ties to any country might manage to get a dirty bomb to go off, but any country wishing to remain a country, and not turn into a land of glass will probably not use their nukes.

• 7 years ago

@Komodo is right on some parts but on rest is wrong. The belief that the U.S won't be invaded is a false generosity. If a Third World War was to happen, the US would be up against 2 out of 3 of the worlds tri-supremacy. The US up against Russia and China will cause a massive confusion, not only that but the US also has the threats of the military and the naval arms of those nations. Not only that the threat of the factions allies. WWIII would mostly be a war between the communists, or anti-American nations vs US and the capitalist nations.

So the belief that the US out of fighting 2 massive enemies, watching over its allies, fighting on different fronts, have massive casualties, and over the threat of nuclear arms, and homeland security, that the US won't have any room for an error, is a false ideal. The US soil can't be untouched forever, and if a massive war played out like WWIII the US will be invaded at some point. Most likely through an air drop, paratroopers will be the most effective way that US would be invaded. Some people would complain that we have the best air force but people forget, so does Russia. And with the combination of different attacks, diverting the troops to different locations, the chance of an invasion landing on our soil is a likable chance.

• 8 years ago

I think there will be small conventional skirmishes, but all out nuclear war would be genicide for all parties. Now Iran is a lit match for sure, but the people will rise against any attempt to use nuclear for other than peaceful purposes. The country is unstable though and to bring them into check pressure is on them now. I would rather think that World War 3 will not exist. Nope, not a chance. You forget that the United States is made up all ethnic groups from all over the world. Even Iranian people live here. World War 1 and 2 came about due to aggressive countries wanting to rule the world. The world was chaos. The US only stepped in after it found it had no choice in the matter. We became the world peace maker. Now that everyone is living a good life overseas, naturally they would like to see us leave, with the acception of a few countries.

Source(s): The studying of world war history. Watching documentary of World wars. Being in the Military many years ago.
  • ?
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

I was thinking along those lines and somebody brought up the point that if Iran had one nuke they'd send it to Israel and that is probably true.

Both the U.S. and Europe are in a unique situation right now. We are both on the brink of financial collapse. WW3 .. fighting on both our soils and economic ruin could force us into the one world economy and currency that many say has been the ultimate goal.

We're living in the end times for sure.. how close to the end .. can't say

P.S. The U.S. is not a super power in the book of Revelation. Russians are mentioned, Chinese are mentioned, Jordan, Syria, Iraq, Iran and of course Israel... the antichrist from the old roman empire - so the EU is mentioned but there is no mention of any western country or any other militaries involved... just thought I'd throw that out there. Not saying we'll be wiped out but we may not be a super power or not able to any longer contribute to world peace or war either way.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

I'd say it's doubtful the USA itself will be attacked by an invading force.

Countries like Canada, the UK and the USA are founding members of what later became known as NATO, the North Atlantic Treaty Organtization, and about 20 other countries like Turkey and Germany, France etc have joined since. The Treaty stipulates no NATO member nation may attack another and b/ any attack on a NATO member nation will be interpreted as an attack against all NATO member nations.

That means if the USA is ever attacked they will have instant allies in Canada, Britain and all the rest:

"The North Atlantic Treaty Organization or NATO is an intergovernmental military alliance based on the North Atlantic Treaty which was signed on 4 April 1949. The organization constitutes a system of collective defence whereby its member states agree to mutual defense in response to an attack by any external party.

Founding member nations include Canada, the USA, the UK; all member nations are Albania, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romainia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO

I can't see any country being able to take on all of North America, and most of Europe also.

• 8 years ago

Yes, USA would be going against China, Russia, Iran, and North Korea. Its easy for the Russians to land on USA because Alaska is so near Russia. Russia could be probably invade Alaska and work its way through. Alaska is the main keyland because it can serve as like a rest stop. Like bring in more reinforcements and troops and supplies. Also, if they want to retreat, they can just island hop to their nation.

• Mark F
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

World War 3 will involve the exchange of thousands of nuclear weapons. There will be very little actual fighting before we are all burned to a crisp or die a slow, agonizing death from radiation exposure.

• 8 years ago

im watching the movie called red dawn right now about an "american battlefield" i dont see america ever becoming a battlefield, but its possible. i think any invader would have a problem with the might of our military and our gun owning citizens

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.