How do women feel about transgeder women?

I have lived full-time as a woman for a year now and was wondering how women actually feel about someone like me? So far, most women seem not to mind too much when they find out about me (mostly from my voice), but I get the sense that some women feel threatened by me. Just curious to hear from other women. I won't be offended so be honest.

First of all, it should be transgender. Sorry for the typo. I still have my thingie down below, but I will have the full operation in the near future.

No, I am not attracted to women sexually. I like men.

I am in therapy for my condition, but it is not mental. The only way I can explain it is how would you feel if you suddenly woke up in a body of a different gender? That is how I have felt since I was very young. I tried to live as my old self, but I could not. I finally feel normal now that I have transitioned.

Favorite Answer

I'm a ciswoman, myself.

In my experience, different ciswomen have different reactions to transwomen (and transmen, too). Personally, I'm OK with transwomen and transmen. I'm friends with a couple of transwomen, one pre-op and one post-op, but I don't know any transmen personally.

I'm a woman and I don't feel much other than curiosity. I don't judge them. I might be uncomfortable in the same way that dealing with minorities makes me uncomfortable- not because I judge them/feel hate or prejudice, but because I worry that what I do or say will be perceived in a way I didn't mean. I think this is just a result of not often coming across minorities of all types (obviously or they wouldn't be minorities) and still being aware of the somewhat delicate relationships people have with others. Not sure if I am getting my point across but oh well.

I also simply don't understand transgender people that well. I am not in the least bit traditional when it comes to gender roles. I acknowledge sexuality and gender as rather fluid and not dichotomous (that is, we all have "feminine" and "masculine" traits). So I don't dress too feminine, I behave the way I behave without heed to whether or not a woman is "supposed" to, other stuff like that. I don't feel the need to attach myself to specific gendered traits like off of a check-list. So when I see a man who feels like a woman and decides he must change, I wonder why he/she can't be who he/she is already. Why is it necessarily womanly to wear dresses and make-up? In my mind, these are entirely socially constructed things.

Sometimes I think that a transgendered person in transition often confirms gender stereotypes rather than challenges them. For example, I saw a woman transition to a man (or maybe he would always be called a he since that is how he identified) on a television special. When she became a man, he worked out, got really buff, and then....well, nothing much. I don't understand why he could not simply have done that without physically transitioning. Why does a person need to look the part to be themselves?

Ok, well, this obviously is still something I'm thinking about. I don't mean to sound offensive by any means. I follow a 'live and let live' policy. I just have trouble understanding the motivation behind it all. Maybe a comment in the "more info" section would help if the original poster reads this.

• ensey

There is no component of the body that's reserved to specific sexual orientations. Men and women should consider free to like any feeling anywhere. It can be not gay except they want a guy doing it. Folks who say that it reveals homosexual trends are mainly insecure of their possess sexuality. The deal is that this - once the couple (I suppose they should be married) is at the back of closed doorways, there are best 3 rules: 1. The whole thing have to be consensual - nothing coerced 2. Both parties ought to agree that each one activities are correct/nontoxic three. It will have to believe as excellent as possible once the couple is at the back of those closed doorways, those two persons's opinions are the one ones that subject. The only guiding principle at that factor is selection. If people can not admire different humans's preferences, that is their trouble.

• ..

I wonder what they do in countries where hormone therapies and surgeries were not available or affordable? Wouldn't they have to find a way to live as they are?

Sometimes our bodies are not exactly as we would like them, sometimes drastically so, but the answer is not to drug them and cut them up, when actually they are functioning fine. Cutting off healthy parts of your body is mutilation.

There is simply no way a man can become a woman or vice versa - no surgery changes the chromosomal configuration that makes you male or female.

Do I think men who have drastic cosmetic surgeries and take synthetic hormones are women? Of course not, no more than I think a man who puts on a furry suit, gets down on all fours and barks is a dog.

Being a woman is not about how your body looks or what your hormone levels are. Some women don't have breasts due to masectomies, or have hormone imbalances due to medical conditions. They're still women.

I feel sympathy and concern for you, but I do agree with Keyser Sose, that you are suffering from some kind of psychological disorder which psychiatrists have been bribed to see as "normal", rather than correctly diagnosing as a pathology and helping you to get over.

You may well have more feminine traits than the average man, or a more feminine brain than the average man. I completely accept that. But it doesn't make you a woman. Nothing ever will. I would like to hope you will learn to accept yourself as you are, and not go forward with any unnecessary, disfiguring surgery. Many transsexuals live to regret it bitterly.

Good luck.

• ?

It makes me curious - I know so little about it. I only know of one case and it went in the opposite direction - a girl who saw herself as a boy. There is an issue in our country at the moment - a tempest in a teapot really - about whether transgender women should frequent women's washrooms (link copied below). Honestly I think this is silly but shows the sort of prejudice you are up against. I want to commend you for being open and bringing up the topic - we all need more awareness.

@Parakeet I have traveled a lot and seen transvestites almost everywhere I went - hard to know about anyone who is actually transgender though

When I took my ethics class we discussed this. Brains of deceased transgender people were examined and were shown to be more similar to that of the gender the people felt they were. Basically, genitals don't always match the brain structure. Personally, I don't have a problem with trans people. The only time I ever felt threatened was on Halloween a few years ago when my husband and I went to see Rocky Horror with some friends. A transgender woman hit on my husband and I got defensive, but I would have gotten defensive even if she had been born a woman =)

Source(s): Life

I personally don't know any transgender women but the stereotype about them are that they are very sensitive and nice so I feel like they probably make good friends. Other than that I also wonder if something messed up happened to them when they were kids. I don't really understand why people are transgender. Also my cousin is a transgender the other way and I'm pretty sure something messed up happened to him though he doesn't talk about it.

• Kerry

I'm really, really not sure how the women feel about you. But there are quite an amount of nasty men who wanna have sex with so called shemales like you. I think, usually when you still have your thingy down there.

About the voice, I think, you can train it. I've seen some videos where shemales have almost totally legit female-like voice. I think, you gotta both take your hormones and exercise it =)

You are a person. A Human being. If you identify as a woman I will call you a woman. I would not be offended, or frightened by your presence.

Source(s): woman

Well, it is something each of us decides for herself. Some of us are able to accept our transgender sisters as individuals, while others judge and condemn them out of ignorance. I personally, see your chosen path as one of the bravest individual acts in our closed minded society.

i would feel totally indifferent and whatever-y about it. IF we were just friends. i might be confused at first, perhaps alarmed, maybe slightly uncomfortable for a second, but its most likely that i would feel indifferent about it.

kind of like, oh okay, well cool. and then continue w my business haha its not too big of a deal. UNLESS you were interested in me for romantic reasons (i know you saidyou like men, but just hypothetically) i would not date anyone who was transgender.