Strange pain and numbness...any ideas?

Over the last few months I've been experiencing some strange sensations. It started out as a bit of lower back pain on the left side just above the buttocks. After about a month I started getting numbness in the buttocks itself on the left side, but that was only occasionally. I also occasionally get a numb left leg.

Now the back pain and numbness only appear from time to time, maybe every few days, but often do last for a few days at a time. Around about the same time this started I began getting muscle spasms in random places such as the foot, arms, and calves that would last for hours. These are irritating more than anything else. They have gotten more common as the months have gone on. I also get somewhat regular cramps in my calves and feet.

Throughout this time period I would get occasional numbness in my hands and wrists, and nearly total loss of feeling in my left little finger (pinky). The numbness has progressed to being maybe 75% of the time, but it varies in intensity. Sometimes it's just a tingle in my hands, other times it's all through my arms and into my left shoulder as well. This all started around June, so I've been dealing with it for about 4 months now.

Over the last 2 weeks or so a new symptom has entered into it. Most time when I look down (touch chin to chest) I get what feels like electric shocks in my arms, hands, and abdomen (mainly the sides, around the ribs). This varies in intensity, but tends to get worse as the day goes on. Needless to say this is all quite strange! I've also been feeling sick around once every 2 weeks, and been experiencing diarrhea randomly, probably once every 2-3 weeks with no explanation.

I am seeing a doctor this week, and hopefully they'll be able to shed some light on all of this. Until then, does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks!

When I say the muscle spasms are "irritating more than anything else", I mean that they aren't painful, just annoying. By no means do I mean they are the worst part of all of this, they certainly are not!

• Athene
    Best Answer

This could be something as "simple" as a vitamin B12 deficiency. But then again, maybe not. Do go see your doc, and do mention the "shocks" when moving your head to its limits.

All the best!

Hi Jay, I cannot understand why you have put up with this for so long, but who am I to talk? Last week I woke up in the middle of the night with pins and needles in my left hand and my heart pounding, symptoms of imminent heart attack and have been taking a daily aspirin in the hope of staving it off. I made an appt GP on Tuesday, the earliest I could get. Since my husband has had a heart condition for almost 30years I recognised the symptoms. I am not saying that your symptoms are identical but they are similar. I hope your doctor will be able to find and treat the cause of your troubles. Whatever hardships you are facing in your life today, know that one day they will be past and your heart will rejoice. Once with our Lord Jesus Christ in heaven, all of the problems of this world will melt away and we will be joyful. Don't fret! God Bless you

my friend welcome to the world of syatica i suffer from it and its exactly as you described (easy way to check lie flat on your stomach make a fist and push it into your left buttock if you identify one point where there is sharp pain most like syatica). its where the piriformes nerve traps and can reduce blood flow causing numbness but that usually affects leg and back as for it everywhere else sounds like you might possibly have a slipped disk in your back compressing a nerve. two options see a back specialist there is a technique to untrap the nerve but doesnt always work second option doctor they will give you a mix of pain killers and anti - inflamitories to reduce swelling and ease pressure on the nerve also they may ask you to go to physio. but you will find it comes and goes just in an instant. but im no doctor this is just my opinion of what you have described