Imac questions? word and iworks?

So I'm getting an imac soon... and I'm wondering does the imac have installed powerpoint, micrsoft word and etc or do I have to buy some program. Same for iwork is it already installed or do I have to buy it and what programs does it come with like I know one is pages. The reason for this is in school I take a computer class and I use things like powerpoint and word for projects and I never finish it in class so I could do it at home. and how much does each cost and wich one is better.

Favorite Answer

You can get a Student version of MS Office for Mac, which you would use for Powerpoint, Excel and Word. It is $129 in Canada, you will have to check for your local pricing.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pd/...

(Just like you would need to buy a Student version of Office for Windows if you had a new Windows machine)

If you are in college, check with your campus computer store, bookstore or Information services, you may be eligable for discounted versions.

New computers (Apple, Dell, whatever) do not come with any office software unless it is the "lite" version of MS Office. Reason? Microsoft isn't giving it away.

iWork is no longer sold as a suite (set). Use the App Store on the OS X Dock to buy Pages (word processing), Keynote (presentation) and / or Numbers (spreadsheet). Each costs US$19.99. Each has the option to export as the old Microsoft standard file format (.DOC, .PPT, .XLS). They can open any of the new standard (.DOCX, .PPTX, .XLSX), but after changes, they can only export as the old standard. Not one person in a hundred knows what the new standard can do that the old one cannot, so I have had no one notice when I share documents with any MS Office user. It just works.

A third option is NeoOffice, free. See link below. It can export as either the old MS standard or the new standard (.DOCX, .PPTX, .XLSX).

There really are three free office suites for OS X...

-- OpenOffice (a port of a Windows suite of apps; acts like a Windows app-- close all documents and the menu bar drops off the map!)

-- LibreOffice (virtually the same as OO)

-- NeoOffice (started with the OpenOffice frame and built a true OS X suite with normal highlighting and true gliph kerning-- in other words, like a true OS X app.)

I have all of the above, and for 99% of my word processing and presentations, I use Pages and Keynote. I am not an accountant, so I do not use any spreadsheet app. For any presentation that I need two or more songs to play for X number of slides, I use PowerPoint, because Keynote still does not have that option.

It is obvious to me the Apple apps are much more intuitive and have more possibilities than the Microsoft apps, but neither is perfect. Keynote '06 was light-years ahead of PowerPoint in transitions, but Microsoft copied most of them for Office 2010/2011, so now they are pretty close in that respect. As for PC geeks who say they can't figure out anything but Microsoft, I'm not surprised. Some people never ride anything but a mule, so when they get on a horse, they lose control.

Source(s): http://m.general-files.com/fileinfo/gs4bed93deh32i... (NeoOffice 3.1.2 for Intel Mac, free) >

Sure, the iMac does come with audio system. They're on the bottom of the monitor so that you can't see them within the snap shots. They sound pretty excellent if I do say so myself. I don't feel iWork is compatible with Microsoft word and so on. You will have to buy the Microsoft place of work suit for mac. The scholar teacher variation expenditures about $150. It has phrase, excel, and powerpoint. I simply got my iMac in the mail this earlier Wednesday. It did not include leopard set up even though I ordered it off of the apple web site after it said leopard did come installed. So I feel it's going to simply be a crap shoot on that. The leopard disc did come within the field however, and despite my concearns, installing the brand new OS was once entirely suffering free and it works absolutely flawlessly. So I relatively don't see this as being an drawback that should discontinue you from buying.

They don't come with MS Office. I was a PC guy for 20 years. I bought a Macbook last summer. I TRIED to use Pages and Numbers but just didn't get it. Apple products are generally highly intuitive, and I'm not stupid, but I couldn't get them to do what I needed.

I ended up getting MS Office for Mac. I got a special deal through a work offer, so I don't know what it will cost you, but all I can say is files are easily transferred between PC and Mac. I have a PC at work, and I am always passing files back and forth with no trouble at all.

If you can get a deal on Office for Mac up front, I'd do it.

I'd say Microsoft Office is better, no neither come preinstalled unless you choose to have them pre-installed when you ordered it. So yeah, Microsoft Office get it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N8...

it has got software called pages it is the microsoft word for macs

macs are a rip of...