Where can I get a pet red fox?

I'm thinking about getting a Red Fox (Vulpes vulpes) for a pet. Where could I get one? I've heard of rescuing one from a fur farm, but WHERE are those fur farms, give me actual contact information or breeders please.

Now before you get all "Wild animals are not meant to be pets, you're a horrible person, bad decision, blah blah blah" I'm not just some Joe schmo wanting a cool pet. I'm a wildlife ecologist with a specialization in mesocarnivore (that means mid-sized) and large carnivore predator ecology. I know what they need and how to get it easily. I also have my own personal forest (of about 100 acres) (that I own) all around my house. I know I'll have to train it, but I think it's doable to just fit the little guy with a GPS collar and let him run loose for a while, then pull him inside when the weather gets bad or night falls. I haven't worked out all the kinks, and am definitely still in the research stage, but I know I could give the fox what it needs instead of a tiny apartment or something of like-kind.

So, how do I get a Red Fox? :)

Aaaaand the hate responses begin. Okay, I'm not talking about a fox that was out in the wild yesterday and I have someone yank it out of its burrow! Sheesh! I'm talking about one that is naturally hurt somehow and couldn't survive without human aid, OR one that was born in a fur factory and was meant to be kept in a tiny cage and skinned. So for all you people saying I'm not compassionate or inhumane or whatever, suck on that! Yes, I'll get a permit. Yes, I'll have to figure out how to build it a proper (huge) cage or figure out how to get it inside if I let it just roam around.

But one way or another, I would be improving the life of a Red Fox that would otherwise soon be dead. Now haters shut up and help me save a Fox's life!

Lastly, if you're not going to actually answer the question, don't waste my or anyone else's time by vomiting your opinion onto the screen. Be helpful. 3, 2, 1... Go!

Favorite Answer

I can't help but think that a genuine wildlife ecologist would already know the answers to the questions your asking. Or at least have the intelligence to look them up on their own. :/

First of all, get familiar with your state laws. Learn if foxes are legal as pets in your state, and if they are learn which species the law includes. Some states that allow fox as pets only allow non-native fox, like arctic or fennec, and ban reds and grays for personal use. After you know your state laws and all that is required, learn you county laws. If foxes are allowed by your state, but not your county, you're SOL. Same with city laws, if foxes are allowed on the state and county level, but not in your city, you're again SOL. On the issue of exotic animals, city trumps county, and county trumps state. Unless your city allows foxes but the state doesn't, in that case state wins.

Now, assuming a fox is legal in your state, you will most likely need to apply for a permit to own one. Most states will have regulations on what is and isn't acceptable for an exotic like a fox. The laws will spell out the minimum cage requirements, etc...

In most cases, letting a pet fox run wild(even with a tracker) is illegal, and is grounds for seizure of the animal. To have a permit, it is stated that you must take precautions to protect the public from your pet, and it doesn't matter that you live in the middle of no where. Plus, letting the fox run free is asking for trouble. It will at some point pick up a disease, be hurt by another animal, or you will just plain lose the fox. By getting the fox young and raising it, you have effectively ruined its chances of thriving in the wild. Letting your fox run around unsupervised without a leash is gambling with the life of the fox.

Many, many fox breeders work by word of mouth. I'm not comfortable putting personal information on the web.

Here are some ways to find fox breeders though:

-Join an exotic pet forum

-Google them

-You'll need to find and exotic vet anyway. Start looking for a vet that will treat a fox, and ask them if they know any breeders.

-Zoos. Most will tell you to piss off, some will tell you were to get certain animals for private use.

-USDA. Give them a ring or drop an email. They are in charge of registering and inspecting fox breeders, after all.

Source(s): This isn't a dungeon.

Olivia, it is viable to maintain a fox as a pet however you ought to comprehend a lot in regards to the animals to do it. Out of your query, you don't show up to understand so much about it in any respect, so I strongly propose that you don't try it. EDIT: if you did "recognize loads about foxes" you could possibly have identified that there used to be no prospect of being able to purchase one. Foxes may also be tamed if reared from a very younger age, however it is elaborate, and pointless when a dog could be far more simple. No accountable animal supplier would have a fox for sale. If anyone presents to sell you one deal with them with satisfactory suspicion. The one truely pet fox I came upon had been observed as an awfully young deserted cub and had been raised bottle-fed. Infrequently humans who find wild foxes coming into their gardens have fed them and they've often come to be semi-tame, even occasionally taking food from the hand, accepting being patted, coming indoors and curling up on the sofa on a cold moist night, and many others, but that it now not really a pet, it's a wild animal sometimes making a pleasant discuss with. If a fox is coming into your backyard or something like that you simply could have a go at doing that.

As a wildlife ecologist I would expect that you of all people would understand why this is a terrible idea. A fox is a wild animal. It has not been bred for domestication.

You claim you can give it everything it needs. What about the company of other foxes?

How exactly do you expect to "pull him inside when the weather gets bad"?

Do yourself a favor and get a husky.

Then you must know it is against both Federal law and State laws to have such an animal, UNLESS

you get a special permit.

So check how to get the permit then you can ponder how to get the fox.

Maybe you could get one of those Russian domesticated foxes.

You'd need permission for import.