Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Used vinyl gloves with ESD - will I have fried my microcontroller?

I was soldering header pins onto my Arduino Mini Pro but because I was using lead based solder (which I find easier to use), I decided to uses vinyl gloves. I was using an ESD wrist strap, so I am wondering whether I will have fried the microcontroller IC or if the ESD wrist strap will have discharged the static safely away? The reason I ask is because vinyl and latex gloves supposedly are terrible for building a static charge up. I really hope I haven't destroyed it!

1 Answer

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I don't think static was generated, because you would have to rub the gloves against something to create the charge, then it would have to discharge through the glove, the micro controller, then to ground somewhere. Just make a simple program to test the outputs if you are concerned about it, maybe flash leds, input on/ off switch toggle, test the A/D pins etc.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.