Leukemia questions?..?

ok so i wanted to know more about Acute Meyloid Leukemia..in health class we have to talk to people with a bad disease.I have a little trouble talking to people (social anxiety) so i was hoping maybe someone who has it or knows a lot about it can answer my questions:

1:Chemotherapy is a treatment of cancers..how long does the treatment process of chemo for AML last?

2:Do you get chemo every day?

3:Do you get treated with more than just chemo?

My uncle has esophageal cancer and he got chemo once a week and radiation everyday for 6 weeks..is treatment for AML close to how he was treated? thank you for answering

Favorite Answer

1. Usually one week of daily chemotherapy using several drugs

(There are over 100 different chemo drugs.

Chemo is not one thing as some people think.)

2. Yes - daily for a week as induction chemotherapy.

3. Depends which type of AML. There are at least seven types all different diseases.

Acute promyelocytic leukemia (APL) - M3 type - is treated with all-trans-retinoic acid

(ATRA ) in addition to induction chemotherapy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acute_myeloid_leukemi...

This is my medical specialty. I treated people with AML for 20 years.

Source(s): MD Medical Oncologist and Hematologist - a cancer and blood specialist doctor - with twenty years experience