British vs. American English (numbers) Question.?

Okay, got into an argument with a British friend. He believes that there is in-fact an "a" in the spelling of numbers between 1-999. His argument is that British people spell 101 as "One hundred and one" However I was taught that 101 was spelled "One-hundred one". Is the British system... show more Okay, got into an argument with a British friend. He believes that there is in-fact an "a" in the spelling of numbers between 1-999. His argument is that British people spell 101 as "One hundred and one" However I was taught that 101 was spelled "One-hundred one". Is the British system of spelling different or the same?

(Additional details)
In America we are taught in the Mathematics department that "and" in Mathematics means "." or "decimal". So 101.1 would be written out "One-hundred one and one". Where as my British friend pointed out that a British person would say "One-hundred and one point one."
Update: Superstop. http://ask.metafilter.com/145643/How-to-spell-101 I have a hard time thinking you are a math major in America. Because "and" acts as a decimal point in American Mathematics. Look on any checks you receive
Update 2: *Supertop