KYLE asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 7 years ago

is there such thing as a 10g ssd?

I know they make 60g and i believe 40g ssd drives, but is there such thing as a 10g? Im looking to get one to install windows on, and then use my 2T hard drive to put all my other files on, thanks

• Allan
    Favorite Answer

While an initial installation of Windows XP is about 5gb it doesn't stay that size for long

AND XP does not enable "TRIM" in an SSD and without TRIM the lifespan of an SSD is greatly reduced.

I recommend Windows7 as the MINIMUM OS to run an SSD on, because the requirements of an SSD are not supported in XP or Vista.

Larger SSD's are faster than smaller ones because the fewer NAND cells in the

smaller SSD's "Bottleneck" the controller.

The other issue is that typically the NAND cells have a lifespan of 3000 Write/erase cycles

before they stop working (More expensive NAND found in more Expensive SSD's are 5k NAND),

so the larger the SSD you buy longer it will likely live

the smallest I can find offered for sale are 30gb.

The smallest practical SSD for a Windows7 OS installation is a 120gb SSD, and I bought one

myself last week for $59shipped (a Kingston HyperX 3k 120gb)

You can buy one of the very best 120gb SSDs, an Intel 550 120gb SSD for $124.

Prices on SSD's have fallen by HALF since the beginning of the year.

The rate of price drop seems to be accelerating.

Frankly I'd recommend looking for the "Black Friday" sales prices on 160gb or 240-256gb drives

Well, Windows 7 grows up to 25GB in a blink of an eye, not mentioning the applications and a swap file. If you want to have only Windows on SSD and move all the apps to the regular hard drive, there is no advantage to have an SSD at all. The only thing you'll notice is how fast your Windows boots up and Internet Explorer opens. Everything else will remain the same, maybe slightly faster. But this is not a good approach anyway. Your SSD will become slower and slower when you getting close to the limit of its capacity. Get a Samsung 830 series 128GB for about $99 and be happy.

Why would you want an SSD so small? 10 GB is too small to comfortably install Windows, and you would soon overflow it with hotfix files and restore points.

There were 32 GB SSDs but nobody really makes them anymore.

Since 64 GB SSDs are well below $100 now, I don't see the point of looking for anything smaller. If you truly want to restrict the OS to 10 GB, just partition the 64 GB drive to the size you want for your C:

• John

The smallest generally available are usually around 16gb and on the very low-end of things when looking at their read and write speeds.

While seek times are probably still better, be cautious as the cheapest SSDs are often no faster than a typical traditional hard drive.

A 10GB SSD is called a USB drive...And I doubt windows would fit on 10GB anyhow if you are installing Windows 7. Using anything less than a 60GB SSD is quite useless anyway.

• MaX

There's 120GB, 240GB and 480GB Solid State Drives

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-2-5-Inch-Sol...