Is the Confederate flag raciest?

The other day I was on Etsy and I saw a Confederate flag dog tag necklace. I really wanted to get it (so I could wear it as a statement to say that I'm proud to be Southern), but I decided not to because I didn't fully know if it would represent anything racist. I'm completely AGAINT slavery and I get really, REALLY upset when white people are arrogant or rude or mean to black people (or anyone of any race. I think it's wrong. Therefore, I don't want to wear something that represents what I'm against. Could anyone tell me what the Confederate flag really represents and if it's a bad idea to get the necklace.

• Betsy
    Favorite Answer

I think that you were wise in deciding not to buy it. Many people think of it as being a symbol of racism.

It represents the south but most African Americans take offense to it because of the confederate states of America but I personally don't believe it to represent anything bad in today's day and age but I probably would wear it because of many people don't really know what it actually represents