Anonymous

are "American Indians" , "Mexicans',& "Indians" distantly yet genetically related?

I have noticed quite a similarity in 1. the way they look. (most obvious one)..but also. 2. their mannerisms are very similar or their "nature"..they seem to have similar attitudes and ways of being..i am guessing this is genetic..as they are so far away from each other..but still seem to have same basic "nature"....3. both are very friendly..and honest...(for most part)..is it genetic that some races maybe have more "theives and liars"? why?

Favorite Answer

The indigenous people of the Americas are related genetically. The current, and most likely, theory is that humans first entered the continent from the north, having crossed the Bering Strait and spread throughout the continent over the millennia, right down to the tip of South America. The Spanish and other Europeans entered only in the last few hundred years.

All humans are genetically related.

Some Mexican Indians and Native American are more related though, and I'm not talking about just the Mexican Indians that lives near the border. The Uto-Aztecan languages are shared among many Indians from the US and Mesoamerica (like the Hopis from the States and Nahuas from Mesoamerica). The original Mexicas, that later formed the Aztec Empire, were probably genetically closer to Southwestern Native Americans than to Mayans because the languages are not related.

About the mannerism, genetics and behavior. I don't know how Native Americans act compared to Mexican Indian. I do know Mexican Indians or Mesoamericans tend to be quiet people, polite, and even passive, unless they have assimilated to the Mestizo culture then they can be very loud and annoying so I wouldn't say it's genetics but maybe similarities in environment, culture, and upbringing.

• Yun

I'm afraid that you have made some bad assumptions on some of the information there. Their "natures" are very much different in various aspects of life and society.

No, there is nothing genetic or inherent in any race that does anything about honesty. There may be cultural links to that, but not genetics.

As far as Mexicans go, there are 3 different groups within their population.

There are the Spaniards. They are descended from the Spanish colonists that came over to Mexico. They look very much like any other white person, but frequently with darker hair and darker eyes.

Then there are the Mexican Indians. They are the descendents of the various tribes that lived in Mexico before the Spanish. They are usually shorter, with the darker skin tone, and appear in some ways like the American Indians.

Then there are those that are a mix between the two.

Unfortunately, Mexican culture also seems to fall into class lines based on those backgrounds. Usually the wealthy and upper class are the Spaniards.

Yes. Native Americans are all related. I don't care what anyone says. My Mexican friend looks just like Pocohontas, I swear.

bad behavior or traits aren't genetically passed down .native americans and hispanics are related.

agreed with @yun also mexican mestizos from north and wester mexico are predomently white 60%+ on average and like 35 indian and 1-3 black..