I am really lost and need just a little bit of help and direction: question about Puritans. help me please!!!!?

Okay I have to discuss the tension between the paradox which was the Puritans acting as materialists in a material world and the Puritans exploring the New World using the excuse of religion to do what they were doing.

Basically in all of my readings by William Bradford, John Winthrop, John Smith, Anne Bradstreet, Mary Rowlandson and all of these famous Puritans I don't really see any of them talking about material goods. They are just talking about their religion and how they don't want to be like the Catholics. What is the deal here??? I don't know how I'm gonna argue this and I'm desperate! :(

How were the Puritans materialistic etc???? And I have to talk about at least TWO of the people I mentioned above to strengthen my argument.

PLease help and then I will answer your question if you post it! :) thanks!!!!

Best Answer

William Bradford in particular was not a puritan, he was a separatist. The report you are supposed to write is nearly impossible since these people really were concerned about their religion. The point of the assignment is most likely to cause you to form faulty conclusions about these individuals.