Why wasn't Gandhi awarded the Nobel Peace Prize?

I just find it hard to understand, why wasn't Gandhi not awarded the Nobel Peace Prize? I mean they awarded it to people around the world, but didn't awarded it to the one man who was the face of non-violence. One can give a reason that since he wasn't a European he wasn't awarded, but that... show more I just find it hard to understand, why wasn't Gandhi not awarded the Nobel Peace Prize? I mean they awarded it to people around the world, but didn't awarded it to the one man who was the face of non-violence. One can give a reason that since he wasn't a European he wasn't awarded, but that doesn't make much sense as an Indian Artist named Tagore was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1913. When Gandhi visited England he received a warm welcome there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLYIEajnqnI

He was nominated 3 times when he was alive, but was never awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. Not that it matters a lot, but it seems a bit odd as we see almost anyone who has done the slightest bit for peace being awarded the Nobel Prize.