Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

Is My Dog's Left Eye Blind?

I have a dog and his left eye suddenly turned out to be cloudy. At first, i thought he was just sick because he wouldn't eat nor drink. And it's been 3 days now. On the 1st night, his left eye wouldn't open normally. I mean, it would open, but just a little. Like as if it was itchy. He would scratch it with his foot. I thought a rat had bit him, or a cockroach (because the area near his eye is bulging a little). On the 2nd day, his eye began to change its color. And when I went home from school today (3rd day), his ENTIRE eye's color really did change.It was cloudy.

I just wanted to know what caused it maybe, or if he's really blind. I mean, he's just 5 months old ;( ! It really upsets me so much with his condition right now. I couldn't afford him to be blind, even though it's just ONE eye. It's best if he could see with BOTH eyes. plus, he wouldn't eat! What am I gonna do? I just love my dog so much :(...

Favorite Answer

So, why were you not at the vet like...three days ago? Seriously your dog has the problem you describe and you can not put it together to take him to a vet? To get help with serious issues sooner is way better than later. If we wait, it is often too late.

Okay, a little more direct. Take your dog to a vet today, he needs help from a veterinarian.

Hi Julimae,

Poor thing!

Your best bet, unfortunately, is 2 take him 2 the vet. Your vet should be willing 2 work w/ you on making payments.

Obviously, I don't know if you have any children, but if he has sight loss, whether permanent or temporary, it could become a potentially dangerous situation. I'm not at all saying your pup would, or is, "aggressive", however, if some1 comes up on the side he can't see from, it may startle him & he could get "defensive". So, you just want 2 keep an eye on that sort of thing for a bit. At least until he gets a little acclimated to his condition.

If you want 2 check yourself if he has sight in that eye, you can try standing next 2 or behind him, & slowly (so he doesn't hear it) move your hand sort of quickly toward that eye. If he sees it, he will, at the very least, blink. What ever you try, just make sure he isn't hearing you, much, or isn't smelling something you just handled on your hands. You want him 2 just use sight only, or as much as possible.

As far as the lump by his eye...that could be anything. It could very well be, as you said, a bug bite, but there are sooooo....many other things it could be. That's why taking him 2 the vet is important.

If he isn't eating, again, could be any # of things. Could be his teeth, or something physical. Again, if he continues 2 not eat or drink, extremely important 2 get him 2 vet.

I'm sorry I don't have anything more conclusive, and only highly suggested the 1 thing you really would have rather avoided, but it's really difficult not knowing 4 definite what REALLY is goin on w/ him. And your vet is really the only 1 who can be totally conclusive on a diagnosis.

Good luck & I really hope he gets better soon!

Kelly

Source(s): I have worked for a local vet 2yrs. & worked for a vet tech 4 10yrs.

Sorry - but you never ever ever mess with eyes. I cannot believe this question.

You should of been at the vets as soon as you noticed something. The grey / cloudy eye now means that it is infected and he could well lose his sight.

Stop wasting time telling us about night 1, night 2 etc and get this dog to a vet NOW and lets hope it is not too late.

If I were you, I would bring my dog to a vet as soon as possible. It could very possibly be an eye infection and it WILL blind him if not treated soon enough. A dog's build is very different to a human. Please DO NOT assume that losing one eye is fine since he has another one. If a human lost one of his/her eye this person would be very confused and unbalanced. If a dog loses one eye, he will only be able to see one side and not see the other side. Close your left eye and put a large piece of board or something similar vertically in between both your eyes. Now, have your right eye look towards the right as corner as possible and cover half of that eye with two fingers. If he can't really see out of one of his eye, that is probably what your dog could see. He can easily hurt himself this way. He must be really confuse and scared right now.

• Sharla

I have given all answers a thumbs up and what are you waiting for anyways. I have two handsome males whom I love more than people and if something is wrong with them I do not hesitate to go onto this site and ask a question I go to Veterinarian immediately what are you waiting for. This little one is probably going to lose his eye and there is no fix for that. He either scratched it or poked it into something in either case my G-d what r you waiting for a diseased eye causes more infection to occur arrggg

Taking your dog to a vet at least once per 6 months or more often when the dog requires sets of shots, like when they're puppies iis one of the main responsibilities of the dog owners. You should take him to a vet.

• Bob

Is he blind?

How on earth can anyone provide a diagnosis like that without seeing your dog?

Take the poor animal to the vet!..

PLEASE get that dog to a Vet NOW! If you can't afford it, call a local rescue or shelter for help. If he isn't blind now he could go blind without medical assistance! Please do not wait. Since he's not eating he's probably very sick. You won't let him suffer if you really love him! Borrow the money if you have to. Just do what it takes to get help now.

Source(s): dog lover and guardian

If you love your dog so much then why didn't you take him to the vet when this first started so the vision could be saved. That's what a loving dog owner would do.

Stop futzing around and do the right thing by your dog. TAKE IT TO A VET PRONTO.

It's quite possible that he has scratched the cornea, and now has an ulcer there. You can't guess at this - he needs to see a vet, and asap if you are to save the eye.