Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOlympics · 8 years ago

Sochi 2014 Olympics(figure skating):who will be on the podium?

I think Sochi 2014 will be very competitive for figure skaters. 2010 Vancouver Olympic gold medalist, Yuna Kim will be participating but there's Carolina Kostner, Ashley Wagners and some young Russian figure skaters like Julia Lipnitskaya, and Adelina Sotnikova.

So..

1.Who should get the gold medal and why?

2.Who should get the silver medal and why?

3.Who should get the bronze medal and why??

• K
    Favorite Answer

Figure skating is more than ladies', you know.

Oh please. Yuna Kim is done. She'll retire. And after that little stunt she pulled last season I don't particularly care if she does.

Men's:

1. Evgeni Plushenko (RUS) - You can't keep this man down and he will rise to the occasion magnificently. His fourth and final Olympics will be his crowning glory...if his body holds up.

2. Artur Gachinski (RUS) - Possibly the most talented male Russian skater of his generation. Will want to show off his best performances in front of his home crowd.

3. Joshua Farris (USA) - Unbelievable talent and still very young, he has it all - the jumps (started landing 4T this year!), the artistry (his Rach LP is just divine).

The really crap part is that Patrick Chan (CAN) continues to fall on his backside multiple times and be rewarded with stupidly inflated scores by the judges.

Ladies:

1. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (RUS) - Super amazing talent and the best jumper in the world in ladies.

2. Adelina Sotnikova (RUS) - Fantastic little skater, good performer.

3. Julia Lipnitskaya (RUS) - May be a little young for the big stage but will want to do well at her home Olympics.

The US ladies are kidding themselves if they think they'll end up on the podium.

I don't follow pairs and dance close enough to make a call but there are several good Russian pairs and the dance should be close.

For the team event, I think Russia will have it in the bag simply because of the skaters they can choose from. For example, they could choose one of the greatest figure skaters of all time (Plushenko) for their man, or they could choose a young supertalent (Gachinski).

I am expecting a HUGE Olympics from the Russians. They're going to want to win it all on home turf. Very fiercely proud, the Russians.

Source(s): figure skater and fan

To K, I see you think junior russians will sweep. After the competition, all the top skating royalty said this, and read this...

Dick Button, legendary 2 time Olympics skating champ and commentator said: Sotnikova was energetic, strong, commendable, but not a complete skater. I fear I will never be allowed back in Russia again.

Frank Carroll, a legend in the industry(Michelle Kwan's coach), also questioned the final call: “I don’t think the program component scores are being judged very accurately. I don’t think it takes much of an eye to know whether somebody can skate or not,” he told TODAY.com. “We’re all good skaters. We can take a look at somebody who goes around the rink and you can say, ‘Yeah, he can skate. No, they can’t skate.’ Why can’t the judges recognize that?

"I was surprised with the result," Joseph Inman, a top U.S. international judge who was on the women's panel at the 2002 Olympics, said in a telephone interview.

"That's not fair to see Carolina and Yuna, who have great skating skills and had great skating tonight -- good jumps, nice presence on the ice, maturity, expression -- could be six points behind somebody who has tremendous skill but is just coming out of juniors," said Gwendal Peizerat, the 2002 ice dancing gold medalist from France, who is a television commentator here.

"Compared to Carolina, compared to Yuna, something has happened."

Katarina Witt (German 2 time olympics skating gold champion) “Shame Gold Medal, Yuna Kim is a real queen”

Michelle Kwan twit to Yuna Kim: Unbelievable!

Alex Goldberger, an Olympics researcher at NBC: ”Adelina Sotnikova was excellent tonight, but Yuna Kim was robbed,” he said.

Kurt Browning, a four-time world champion, told The New York Times: "I just couldn't see how Yu-na and Sotnikova were so close in the components. I was shocked. What, suddenly, she just became a better skater overnight? I don't know what happened. I'm still trying to figure it out."

Bill Plaschke@BillPlaschke Feb 20

Queen Yuna Kim was unbelievable.nearly perfect. better than Sotnikova...if she is not Olympic champion in about 5 minutes, a huge scandal

Chicago Tribune post: “Now the other Russian, Adelina Sotnikova, is her country’s first women’s Olympic singles champion, thanks to a judges’ decision that may go down as among the most questionable in figure skating’s checkered history.”

Bill Plaschke ‏‪@BillPlaschke‬ Feb 20 Kim didn't win...unbelievable...scandal written all over this...Russian Sotnikova wins, fans going crazy, Kim disappears, wrong, wrong,

I highly disagree. Jamie Salé, Canadian gold medalist in 2002 said "Ok I'm not a judge but I just watched the again + I STRONGLY disagree w results like MANY others. now what?".

ESPN Official Website News Article titled "Home Cooking", "Home-Ice Advantage"