High Fructose Corn Syrup and Ethanol: Why poison our food when they could make fuel?

I am opposed to burning 40% of America's corn crop as car fuel and also opposed to finding high fructose corn syrup in all our food. So why don't "they" use the sugar to make fuel or fatten hogs instead of putting it in our food?

And why doesn't yahoo have a GMO/Monsanto category or a survivalist wacko / prepper category?

What, the 20-something year young geeks live in sterile cubicles and use their ovens to store clothing?

@Interro: We don't need hidden sugar in all our food. Why do you think everyone is fat?

Favorite Answer

Actually, eleven has it about right. Same reason that the govt states that people with celiac disease only react to wheat, barley and rye when in reality they react to all grains, only to a much lesser extent in most cases whereas, I react to corn and rice instantly, and it would have helped me out greatly to have been clued into the fact at the beginning of my diagnosis, same as it would help everyone else with the condition whose health continues to deteriorate bc they are continuing to eat sub-grains.

You have to keep in mind that we are the bread basket of the world and the biggest producer of grains worldwide. There is no way the govt is going to advocate we forgo grains no matter how many of us become ill or, even die. I know someone who literally had a lung removed bc their CD had attacked it, but showed none of the classic digestive symptoms that doctors rely upon for ordering diagnostic tests for the disease, and didn't find out they had it until she and her doctors started scratching their heads wondering why an otherwise healthy, young, non-smoker suddenly develop lung disease. Bingo! Celiac Disease.

Many people with CD have no symptoms, but will suddenly come up with pancreatitis or, liver failure. In my case, though I did have periods of disability where I had obvious digestive symptoms, it took me 18 years to get diagnosed and by that time, it was attacking my cerebellum. If I hadn't figured out for myself that I was reacting to all the so-called gluten free foods sold on the marketplace, and corn and rice additionally, I would most likely be in a wheelchair right now with no chance of recovering the damaged areas of my brain.

Something everyone should consider is that before the invent of steroids in the late 1930-40's, MS was specifically treated with a gluten free diet. After steroids came on the market, the govt and MDs stop advocating that those patients stop eating wheat, barley and rye bc the steroids masked the symptoms of ingesting them, but the damage, just like in the case of celiac patients who continue eating sub-grains, progresses, and in a lot of cases, eventually leads to some type of organ failure that is never connected to the disease itself. It is an immune disorder, afterall and many people are asymptomatic though the damage to their bodies is occurring, nonetheless.

With the population explosive and the global recession, the value of a human life has been greatly diminished. We have to look out for our own interest, and already, even before Obamacare kicks into place, have to advocate and research many of our chronic illnesses on our own. There is no way I will ever again take what my doctors tell me at face value. I will always take what they tell me home with me, do some research of my own and make my own decisions regarding every aspect of my health. I expect this situation to only get worse when Obamacare is in force. One reason I was never tested for CD over the course of the 18 years I suffered undiagnosed was that I didn't have all the classic signs of the disease that insurance companies expect doctors to check off before ordering the test. Namely, I wasn't stick skinny.

(Clinton really screwed us when legislating for managed care, and for 18 years, I was a victim of THAT.)

It is estimated that one out of 33 of us have the gene for CD. Our consumption of modified grains is thought to have triggered a higher incidence of the disease in recent decades. I challenge all Americans to get tested even if it means that they have to lie that a relative has been diagnosed or, barring that, self test by going off of all grains for a period of at least a month - NO GRAIN CONSUMPTION, including no HFC - and see if they react when they reintroduce them into their diets.

You are exactly right. HFC is a poison for many people who will never have symptoms until their liver gives out and even then, may never know that their ingestion of HFC/grains was the causative factor, and believe me, as someone who now has to be very much and constantly aware of everything I put in my mouth, I can tell you HFC is the most common food additive in our grocery stores. Going primal cave man style for a period of a month may save you the pain and economic inconvenience of becoming permanently disabled later.

(I am now back to work after being completely defunct for two years - thanks, God - but I would not be had I not taken my condition into my own hands and done my own research apart from what the doctors were telling me, giving up corn and rice on my dinner plate was not enough. Giving up HFC put me back to work.)

Otherwise, you're exactly right. We don't need sugar. We don't need mayo and we don't need butter. The latter two I was wise enough to have given up very early in my life.

• Burning food is foolish. But I was very surprised to hear the Shell Oil commercials say that they are using "sugar beets" for fuel. [They used to say "corn."] I have not researched that yet.

I don't like hidden crap in our food either. But what you should be more concerned about is the acceptable bug parts approved in food processing and all the antibiotics/hormones in feed. Not to mention GM meat. I'm sure if McDonald's could engineer a three breasted no legged chicken - they would.

You can't blame the obesity problem on sugar. 95% of the time, it is the consumer's lifestyle choice. And it has been taught by obese parents to their obese children. We have become a gluttonous slothy society of which, I am not a part of.

For those who answered without a biology class, ethanol can be produced from corn, from HFCS or from the starch left over after oil and HFCS extraction.

Funny - They remove all the goodness of the corn, the healthy fiber and protein rich mash left over after ethanol processing and feed it to animals and give the crappy oil, sugar and alcohol to people.

Someone needs to invent a healthy breakfast cereal from spent corn mash, the stuff we feed our cattle smells delicious and doesn't taste bad either.

RScott

HFCS is metabolized in the liver and stored in the liver while glucose is stored in muscle tissue. when those cells are full the left overs are converted to fat. the liver holds 75-100 mg of glyogen muscles store up to 750. HCFS is a poison that makes people fat....it is not the same as sugar.

Source(s): s

High Fructose Corn Syrup exists BECAUSE of the Ethanol production and subsidies.

It is the biproduct of making ethanol from corn.

It isn't the same corn. Both corns are GMO, but for different ends. HFC won't make ethanol, and EC won't make sugar.

They need to poison the food chain.

They NEED to.

A fit and healthy population well educated and able to think clearly is a bigger threat to "them" than anything else.

They NEED to poison the food chain,...and the Water supply.

They NEED to.

HCFS is cheaper to use than pure sugar.

It's important to think of implications...

MEAT.IS.MURDER!