Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 years ago

Stephen Hawkins is wrong, God created the Universe?

Article credits to Kyle Butt, M.A.

Stephen Hawking is a brilliant scientist. He has battled a crippling disease since he was 20, made a name for himself on a global scale through his scientific prowess, and been an inspiration to many. But in his latest book, The Grand Design, he is just plain wrong. Michael Holden wrote an article he titled: “‘God Did Not Create the Universe,’ Says Hawking,” in which he stated that Hawking’s new book, co-authored with Leonard Mlodinow, proposes the idea that the laws which hold the Universe together do not need an intelligent Designer.

In fact, Holden quoted Hawking as saying: “Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist” (as quoted in Holden, 2010, emp. added). While the book is not yet on the shelves, there are already glaring flaws with Hawking’s reasoning.

First, Hawking cannot explain why the law of gravity exists in the first place. He says “because there is a law of gravity,” but he can give no reason why such a law is present, and is constant. Without an adequate explanation for the origin of laws, such as gravity, any explanation of the origin of a Universe dependent on those laws is incomplete. Furthermore, regardless of what theoretical, mathematical calculations Hawking has concocted, the simple fact of the matter is, if there ever was a time when nothing existed, there would be nothing now. The mere fact that Hawking suggests that anything can “spontaneously create itself out of nothing,” is, with all due respect, ridiculously absurd and completely unscientific! It is impossible to get something from nothing—any way you slice it. Using Hawking’s way of thinking, we could suggest that this article you are reading “spontaneously created itself out of nothing.” Yet such a conclusion defies all known scientific laws.

Update:

@Fitz: It isn't a God of the Gaps, that's atheist favorite quote. It's us as intellectuals reflecting this new knowledge against all of the old knowledge that humans have acquired over the centuries and reflecting it upon reality and seeing if it matches up. That's not God of the Gaps at all.

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I think Kyle Butt is right, but Dr. John Lennox is more qualified to deal with it.

God and Stephen Hawking: Do the Laws of Physics Make God Unnecessary?

http://www.discovery.org/v/2511

• 5 years ago

So? I hate to burst your bubble, however science does not rest on one individual. Also scientists disagree on things. Considering the fact that Hawkings does not declare to have all of the solutions, that does not imply the Bible is right. It just signifies that cosmology is likely one of the youngest fields of gain knowledge of available in the market, and there's a whole lot left to be taught. Why do you persons consider we dangle on the phrases of 1 or two persons? Ultimately, why are you hanging so much religion in a piece of writing written with the aid of a Bible and communications major? He's now not a scientist. He it appears has no coaching in any scientific discipline and has no more credibility within the field of cosmology than you do. EDIT be aware: you probably did what most Christians do once they need to argue science. They discover a Christian creator then parade their baseless assumptions around as in the event that they have been fact. Should you knew something in regards to the colossal Bang, quantum discipline fluctuations, multiverse idea and a number of others, you'd see that this man has no clue what they're about a lot much less can criticize it. EDIT observe 2: should you knew some thing concerning the sciences you could have shared your thoughts not quoted a Christian creator and not using a training within the discipline. The truth that you're calling us "dumb asses" approach you're hardly ever able to criticize anybody elses angle. As for "opinion" the writer your quoted is doing nothing more than that - providing his opinion. Best he's parading it round as scholarly. He furnished zero reasons why he thinks what he's criticizing is baseless. And also you suppose him simply when you consider that he is a Christian. Hawking's "opinion" is valid considering that he is studied the data. Your man did not. I do know that for a reality given that of the way in which he's trying to refute the conclusions. Informed people converse in important points when they're refuting some thing now not sweeping generalities. No authentic scientific questions raised at all. He simply said "evident flaws." When Hawkings would not get into an explanation about the place gravity got here from it manner it's now not wanted in that distinct textual content. He's discussed it at size elsewhere. Why be repetitive? Additionally, YouTube is in regards to the last location to head for secure understanding. One can find something that tickles little ears there.

• Fitz
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

All this proves is that Hawking has no explanation for gravity. It has nothing to do with God.

Although I am an atheist and science minded, I do agree that quantum fluctuations are not an explanation of the origin of the universe and Hawking is indeed incorrect regarding their role in the origin of the universe. For a quantum fluctuation to occur a gravitational field is required to provide the negative energy. To get a gravitational field, you need spacetime, and mass to warp it. So if we already have mass, spacetime, and gravity then the universe already exists in some form. Quantum fluctuations can indeed produce something from nothing, but only if the universe already exists.

Now just giving up and using 'god of the gaps' to explain away mysteries is a cop out. A gap in knowledge is just a gap in knowledge, not evidence of a creator. People used to think thunder was god's anger for that very same reason. You want me to believe that an omnipotent being created the universe? Show me some evidence. Until then, I will patiently wait for evidence to surface regarding the origin of the singularity that produced the big bang.

-edit-

Saying that an unknown is evidence of a creator is classic 'god of the gaps'. We don't know the origin of the singularity therefore god did it? That's not intellectual, it's lazy. You seem intelligent enough to me that you are not just denying science (the big bang for example). It would seem to me that if you are intelligent enough to go that far, you should not quit there. As someone who is a theist, and science minded, you should remember that god (if he exists) is the greatest scientist of all time. I personally don't believe in a deity, but science cannot be denied, so a theist should assume that god is a scientist that designed the universe according to natural laws rather than "poof I created the universe".

By the way, the author of the article was just as wrong as Hawking. You CAN get something from nothing, but as I explained above, the universe must already exist for this to happen. So calling it "ridiculously absurd and completely unscientific" is ironic since that's exactly what that statement is: ridiculously absurd and completely unscientific.

• Hugh
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

I agree with you 1000% and lets face it Hawkins has been wrong before and majorly wrong. Hawkins stated that matter was destroyed in black holes when for years a law of physics was that since the creation of this universe matter is never created or destroyed it only changes state from matter to energy and back again. I agree that his thinking is flawed and he points to one thing as the origin but gives no origin of that thing ie: law of gravity. And i further agree this is not a God of the gaps. There must be a cause to all effects. To believe something as grand as our universe just happen with out a cause is to have the very magical thinking atheists accuse creationist of.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Stephen Hawking also said at a singularity the laws of physics break down. If that is true then the singularity never existed. Plus the laws of physics can't explain the universe expanding at an accelerated rate. That defies the law of gravity.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

He has been thoroughly rebutted by better scientists than himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJSi25tB6EM

Youtube thumbnail

JOHN LENNOX

ohn Lennox is Professor of Mathematics in the University of Oxford, Fellow in Mathematics and the Philosophy of Science, and Pastoral Advisor at Green Templeton College, Oxford. He is also an adjunct Lecturer at Wycliffe Hall, Oxford University and at the Oxford Centre for Christian Apologetics and is a Senior Fellow of the Trinity Forum. In addition, he teaches for the Oxford Strategic Leadership Programme at the Executive Education Centre, Said Business School, Oxford University.

He studied at the Royal School Armagh, Northern Ireland and was Exhibitioner and Senior Scholar at Emmanuel College, Cambridge University from which he took his MA and PhD. He worked for many years in the Mathematics Institute at the University of Wales in Cardiff which awarded him a DSc for his research. He also holds a DPhil from Oxford University and an MA in Bioethics from the University of Surrey. He was a Senior Alexander Von Humboldt Fellow at the Universities of Wuerzburg and Freiburg in Germany. In addition to over seventy published mathematical papers he is the co-author of two research level texts in algebra in the Oxford Mathematical Monographs series.

• 8 years ago

'Kyle Butt is a graduate of Freed-Hardeman University, where he earned a B.A. with a double major in Bible and communications, and an M.A. in New Testament.'

Now why the hell should we take this clown seriously in a discussion on cosmology? He knows more than Hawking on this subject?

Source(s): pathetic
  • 8 years ago

Stephen Hawking is arrogant.He acts like he has all the answers to life and the universe.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Who's Stephen Hawkins?

• 8 years ago

And God Said "let there be ignorant idiots who shall openth their mouths to speak false prophecies!" Well I'll have to admit it, he got one thing right.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.