Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Thien Truong asked in PetsFish · 9 years ago

can cherry barbs live with a male betta ?

i have a 20 gallon tall and in there i have 5 cherry barbs i was just wondering can i have one male betta in there with my cherry barbs will the betta and the barb get along ? oh yeah what other fish would u recommend me having in my 20 gallon tall with the cherry barbs ? thanks

5 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

properly i'd first make sure that Cherry Barbs and Bettas like water of an same - or very similar pH. even with the indisputable fact that bettas are very hardy and may want to stay in maximum pH's and temperatures - you nevertheless opt for them to be in the most ideal circumstances. Barbs are constructive little fish, and that i do no longer imagine you may want to have any aggression topics having a community tank with them and a male betta. Smaller Gourami breeds might want to also be yet another interest as they are very resembling Bettas of their body form (they actually have a lybrythe sp? organ) and water possibilities - yet are a lot less aggressive.

• 9 years ago

there are many fish that are compatible as betta tankmates. The four rules that you can use to determine whether a fish is compatible are

1) Not colorful or resemble a rival betta's colors (guppies)

2) Not a fin nipper (Tiger barbs are a big NO)

3) The right size for the size of the tank (No common plecos in a 10 gallon tank since they get to 2 feet in length)

4) Lives roughly in the same water conditions as a betta (no brackish/saltwater fish)

more info here

http://bettacare101.com/tankmates

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Oh, a TALL tank? You should treat that as a 10 gallon, it has VERY similar dimensions.

Just the barbs, and betta. They will be fine. But, you may end up with a very aggressive betta who will fight any other fish. You will want a back-up cycled, filtered, heated, 5 gallon tank.

• ?
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Cherry barbs and anything with flowing fins will not be a success.

Up their number to 7 and get the same number of Lambchop Rasbora.

Do know that both will prefer a rather planted tank

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

imnot sure but i dont think beta fish get along with any fish lol

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.