hi IS IT ILLEGAL TO SELL STUFFS/HOMEMADE CRAFTS ON THE STREETS?

Like I want to sell items on the streets / at the park/ or on the sidewalk of other places like near a stadium

is it illegal to sell without a seller's permit? i applied for a seller's permit already. is that the only thing i need to be legal to sell?

i live in california, orange county

I heard when we apply for a seller's permit, we need to pay sales tax. how do i pay sales tax? i applied for the permit online yesterday.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

When you get your permit it will show you what tax rate to charge customers. Then at least once a year you will get a notice to go online and pay your collected sales tax. You can do this with a credit card or check. You need to keep track of all sales amounts by law, if you fail to do so it's a crime and you can do jail time.

Just get a receipt book and write each person a receipt. That way you can just add up the totals and pay the proper tax.

• rtfm
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

It's not illegal if you have the proper permissions. Is your "seller's permit" issued by the state? If so, you'll probably need a local permit issued by the town as well.

And yes, you must collect sales tax from your customers and then submit it to the state on whatever regular basis they require (monthly? quarterly?). There should have been links to information about sales tax at whatever site you applied for your permit. Click on them and read them.

You'd need permission from the stadium owners to sell there, and it's not very likely you'd get that permission. There are only a limited number of authorized sellers around sports arenas, and they pay a big premium for their permits.

• ?
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Yes it is illegal unless you have a permit and sales tax number

You obtain a Sales Tax Number from the State of California, Taxing Authority. You can do it online.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

No. It is not illegal.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.