Seniors, which president does one most respect ?

Thomas Jefferson was a very remarkable man who started learning very early in life and never stopped.

At 5, began studying under his cousin's tutor.

At 9, studied Latin, Greek and French.

At 14, studied classical literature and additional languages.

At 16, entered the College of William and Mary.

At 19, studied Law for 5 years starting under George Wythe.

At 23, started his own law practice.

At 25, was elected to the Virginia House of Burgesses.

At 31, wrote the widely circulated "Summary View of the Rights of British America"�and retired from his law practice.

At 32, was a Delegate to the Second Continental Congress.

At 33, wrote the Declaration of Independence .

At 33, took three years to revise Virginia 's legal code and wrote a Public Education bill and a statute for Religious Freedom.

At 36, was elected the second Governor of Virginia succeeding Patrick Henry.

At 40, served in Congress for two years.

At 41, was the American minister to France and negotiated commercial treaties with European nations along with Ben Franklin and John Adams.

At 46, served as the first Secretary of State under George Washington.

At 53, served as Vice President and was elected president of the American Philosophical Society.

At 55, drafted the Kentucky Resolutions and became the active head of Republican Party.

At 57, was elected the third president of the United States .

At 60, obtained the Louisiana Purchase doubling the nation's size.

At 61, was elected to a second term as President.

At 65, retired to Monticello .

At 80, helped President Monroe shape the Monroe Doctrine.

At 81, almost single-handedly created the University of Virginia and served as its first president.

At 83, died on the 50th anniversary of the Signing of the Declaration of Independence along with John Adams.

Thomas Jefferson knew because he himself studied the previous failed attempts at government. He understood actual history, the nature of God, his laws and the nature of man. That happens to be way more than what most understand today. Jefferson really knew his stuff. A voice from the past to lead us in the future:

John F. Kennedy held a dinner in the white House for a group of the brightest minds in the nation at that time. He made this statement: "This is perhaps the assembly of the most intelligence ever to gather at one time in the White House with the exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone."

"When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe ." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

-- Thomas Jefferson

"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world."

-- Thomas Jefferson

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." -- Thomas Jefferson

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

-- Thomas Jefferson

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."

-- Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson said in 1802:

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.

If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property - until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."

Obviously, Jefferson gets my vote as he certainly gave a lot of thought to this country.

S, I agree with you 100%.

Favorite Answer

He gets my vote. A president who can stand proudly beside his acts in life.He could be talking to us today on our very issues.

• S

Don't forget he saw the the future with Lewis and Clark. He had them journal their findings and get specimens too.

I just read what you wrote, almost he could see the future.

Also didn't President Washington said no two parties and stay out of international affairs. Problem now we have become to global.

Lincoln was good. They have good points, not so good all of them, but the way I look at it, we are still a great nation and we bounce back. We have strong people who will fight on despite our hardships. I just hope and pray we don't go under another nations rule... ever. I know it is not perfect here, but it could be so much worse.

FDR is the one I love the most, even though he died before I was born. He was a man of the people, even though he was born into means. He didn't think he hit a home run just because he was born on third base. But the one I have the most respect for is Truman. He made the decision to bomb Hiroshima and Nagasaki and said it never caused him any lack of sleep because he knew it was the only way to stop the war and he was right. A lesser man might have hemmed and hawed and a couple million more people would have died.

• Dave M

Don;t think any of them were perfect and some we would of been better off if they had never been president - I admire Andrew Jackson - he fought and won the battle of New Orleans - he rejected the bankers & banks - it was during his presidency the country was absolutely debt free - that was the only time that ever happened in our history - think President Lincoln went through the worse situation which a war solved - the current situation in our country's history is no less critical and war will not solve it - would suggest you check out the history of Andrew Jackson.

• LeRoy

Franklin Delano Roosevelt. He led the country out of the first Great Depression, also caused by the bankers of Wall Street and led us to victory over an axis of foreign countries during WW2 that were intent on imposing their will on our way of life and the freedoms we had worked so hard to attain. If not for Roosevelt, all the works of Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln would have been for naught.

• I have never read that stuff before, since I wasn't into histories but I agree with you and him.

When I got down to the banking part..oh yeah that is 100 percent true!

That's why the interest rates are sooooo God Almighty awful!!.

Thanks for posting that info!

Lincoln

• RB

Gale,

I respect him too.

As in the current situation...I respect the office only. If I should meet our president face to face, I will give respect for the office, but the man will know what I think, for sure!

• Bob

I've seen this very item before, Gale, and I can't agree more! What a giant of a world citizen, and leader of the American people!..

Thomas Jefferson

(((Gale)))

Source(s): Camille