1) There are no affiliation bonuses this coming Fiscal Year.
2) We still offer guaranteed FS "A" School.
3) There is no waiting list to get into the Coast Guard. People have to wait a long time to get a ship date - provided they are qualified and accepted for enlistment. It's a misperception that people can just apply and wait for an opening. Nowhere close to everyone who applies makes it in.
4) We are enlisting the lowest number of active duty people ever this coming Fiscal Year. Yes, we really are that difficult to get into. We only take the best, even in good recruiting years. Remember, we only have ~33,000 enlisted people worldwide. That's it. That's all. With retention rates higher than I've seen them in the past 33 years, we just don't have that many vacancies coming up.
5) Contact a Coast Guard recruiter soonest. He/she will have the most up-to-date information on what it's going to take to get qualified and accepted for enlistment.
I am the Coast Guard's Accessions (i.e., Recruiting) Program Manager, responsible for all recruiting programs except the Coast Guard Academy.