Coast guard enlistment questions.?

im interested in joining the military. mainly because at the moment i have no direction and i know they will give me one. iv always been into boats so im leaning towards the coast guard but would consider the navy. i would rather be in the coast guard but from what iv heard there is a pretty heafty enlistment wait... show more im interested in joining the military. mainly because at the moment i have no direction and i know they will give me one. iv always been into boats so im leaning towards the coast guard but would consider the navy. i would rather be in the coast guard but from what iv heard there is a pretty heafty enlistment wait (like 4 years!?) for boatswains mate. but on the other hand iv also read that there is a 7500 dollar enlistment bonus if you go into food service? now i dont really want to be in food service but if one rate take 4 years and they'l pay you just to go into another it would stand to reason that there would be a different enlistment wait for each rate based on the popularity of that rate. SO i was wondering if anyone could tell me which rates i could pursue and be in basic in under a year. or if im going to have to wait a long time no matter what. its also my understanding that while on the waiting list the ppl who get picked arent whoever has been waiting the longest but who are the most qualified. i have a clean record got good grades in high school, awesome letters of recomendation and have a few skills under my belt. is the coast guard really so stacked that there picking the creme of the crop only?
6 answers 6