How did Thomas Hobbes, John Locke and David Hume relate human nature to the formation of government?

For my research paper, I'm supposed to analyze The Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes, The Two Treatise of Civil Government by John Locke, and the Political Essays of David Hume. What I'm asking is, how did each author through their works relate their opinion of human nature to the formation of government and how did they inspire the founding fathers of our nation?

Favorite Answer

My apologies for merely suggesting research for you but there are volumes which precis the works of authors as well as those which precis the ideas of philosophers. You will need to refer to some of these. I fail to respond directly because I know of the philosophies of the gentlemen to whom you refer but have not read the works to which you refer.

These volumes should be in a library close at hand.

Source(s): Drabble, Margaret (ed) - The Oxford Companion to English Literature: Fifth Edition. New York: Oxford University Press: 1985 Frost, S. E. jr - Basic Teachings of the Great Philosophers. New York: Random House: 1989. The author does some comparing/contrasting of philosphers and philosophies and also includes brief biographies on many of them. Kuiper, Kathleen (ed) - Merriam-Webster's Encyclopedia of Literature. Springfield: Merriam-Webster: 1995