Can a leaking water pump ruin brake lines?

I have a 1999 Chrysler LHS. Recently, the water pump started leaking and it ruined the timing belt. I brought it to a mechanic that I've never used before, so I have no idea how reliable they are. They now told me that my brake lines blew. Can the leaking water pump also cause brake lines to rot?

• Avid
    Favorite Answer

Ray hit it on the head so just wanted to add that rubber brake lines are made of a material that will not dissolve or decay with brake fluid, oil water gas and any other road contaminate you will encounter. The water or antifreeze on the timing belt or any belt for that matter will ruin the belt because it acts like a lubricant and cause's the belt to slip and eventually fail.

I wanted to add that the lines on the front wheels have rubber hoses on them only the rear normally have steel lines.

Source(s): Mech 30+
  • Ray

Very doubtful. Even getting anti-freeze on a timing belt should not ruin that. If you had no idea when it was last changed, and it showed signs of cracking, then it would be a good idea to replace it. Make sure to retain mileage records of when it was done. Did he specifically say the brake line rot was related? There are metal lines leading out to the suspension points and then rubber reinforced hoses for the last foot to 18 inches to the backing plate/brake caliper. Usually the rubber line is the first to go. The metal lines can last many decades.

Source(s): Garage Owner

No but if the brake lines are as rusted up as they usually get any movement could cause a leak. At this point the mechanic did you a favor by bumping them and causing the leak. Sure beats finding out the lines are weak while coming off the expressway.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

i doubt that the antifreeze would make the brake lines leak ! those are steel brake lines and if they can stand up against road salt then antifreeze won,t hurt them ! if a brake line started to leak then it was rotted !

• hickey

If it looks find it irresistible is coming from the hose then you are most commonly correct that it is. The hoses are the most likely matters to leak. Once it cools down and prevents spraying water far and wide examine the hose, feel it too and notice if you will see that or consider the hole. If in doubt the hose is the easiest and most cost-effective factor to interchange so go ahead and do it.

Water pump leak is no different than driving in the rain. But if you live where they use salt for ice in winter, that would cause that.

The only thing it will cause is that the automobile's cooling system to flunk on you.

If its watercooled( which is it cools with water the engine and the airconditioning) yeah it will affect it and the engine will overheat which may cause your car to wreck in the middle of the road.