Forensic Entomology Training?

I would like to be a forensic entomologist, but I don't know exactly where to start. I would like to get a major in entomology, with a focus in forensic entomology. Where is a good college that could give me that? Thanks! =]

Favorite Answer

I hope you realize you have identified a career with very limited employment options. According to a 2006 online article I found on Forensic Entomology, at that time there were only 10 board certified forensic entomologists.

Source: ForensicCareers.com

* http://www.forensiccareers.com/index.php?option=co...

I recommend you read the online article. According to the article,

[Quote]

The educational requirement to be a forensic entomologist is as follows:

Earned M.S. or Ph.D. in Entomology

Graduate coursework with a specialization and area of concentration in the forensic application of entomology

Five years of relevant case experience

Five case exemplars to submit to the review board (American Board of Forensic Entomology)

Ability to score 80% or higher on a written examination

Ability to score 80% or higher on a practical examination and case work-up on a mock case

[End quote]

The article doesn't state it, but course work in forensic sciences either as an undergraduate or a graduate student will also help.

So you will need to earn a Bachelor's degree first, possibly focusing on entomology and forensic sciences. Then, you will need to earn at least a Master's degree in either entomology or forensic sciences.

Using the College Search database of the well-respected College Board, I found only a few schools offering degree courses (Bachelor's, Master's and/or Doctorate) for both entomology and forensic sciences.

- Gulf Coast State College, community college, Panama City, FL (Associate's Degrees)

- Michigan State Univ., East Lansing, MI (Graduate degrees only - forensic sciences)

- Penn State Univ., College Park, PA (Bachelor's degree - forensic sciences, Graduate degrees - entomology)

- Texas A&M Univ., College Station, TX

- Texas Tech Univ., Lubbock, TX (Master's Degrees)

- Univ. of California Davis (Master's degree only - forensic sciences)

- Univ. of Nebraska Lincoln (Master's degree only - forensic sciences)

You can use the College Search database to compile a list of schools which offer degrees in one or the other discipline:

* https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/college-search

Librarians--Ask Us, We Answer!

Find your local Public Library at:

http://www.publiclibraries.com/

Find your College/University Library at:

http://lists.webjunction.org/libweb/Academic_main....

Best wishes

Source(s): Former college administrator (dean level) + Reference/information librarian
  • Kelly

Depends on the sub-speciality. For example, my interest for 20 years is in forensic anthropology (my dad was a forensic crime lab chief, so naturally this became an interesting subject to study, especially how to identify trauma that resulted in death when there's but bones left for clues), it's a sub-field of the forensic sciences. Forensics is a team study, that has many sub-fields that specializes in one area. Often it's used for crime work, but it's also used in biology and paleo/anthropology (any investigative field of study -- biomedicine, especially). There's more work opportunities for lab technicians (those who replicate DNA and do testing for toxicology), as they can work in hospitals (especially pathology) and clinic sectors. If you're thinking of entering the field, even as a surrogate, the best route is in the lab area (cyto/pathology/toxicology). From there you can build your credentials and cross over into the criminal forensics field. Most crime scene "CSI" types are promoted from within law enforcement (like my father), otherwise you build your CV via conventional means.

there is no such a thing