How to record high quality music with a laptop?

I use Audacity software and I can record using my laptop's in-built microphone voice quite reasonably. I tried recording the piano but the sound quality was very poor.

What's the easiest way to make professional sounding music recordings such as piano? What to do people in amateur bands use? Will I need to buy a higher quality microphone or do I need a better recording software? Or should I invest in some other recording equipment and not use the laptop?

Sound recording is outside my expertise completely. If you could link some literature so I can have a basic understanding of the various options, it will be great!

Favorite Answer

Built in mics are of a very poor quality. They are fine for talking to someone like on Skype but are not ideal for recording music or singing.

You need a quality mic for singing. For the piano, ideally you'd need some way of connecting it into an external sound card then connected into the laptop. If there isn't then, I'd recommend a music keyboard which you can plug into a computer.

Some of the sounds are so sophisticated, its gets more difficult to compare the sound between a piano effect on one of these, to a real piano!

Do the piano playing first without the singing.

Then, put on some headphones on at a low volume and play back your piano. Whilst you are playing back the piano, you can use Audacity to record your singing part. That way, the sound is separated and you can adjust and mix the song accordingly. Whereas it'd be impossible to do that if you recorded piano and singing at the same time.

You need a quality mic for that, you can also set Audacity to record direct from the sound card.

Control panel > sound > recording > right click on the mic icon > show disabled devices > set to record from sound card.

If it was an organ the should be a way to play through the sound card and record the music direct from there. (Audio in)

Many people who want to learn to play the piano are put off by the idea of spending long, boring hours learning music notes. If you are serious about learning to play the piano, the first thing you will need to do is put those negative thoughts behind and start with an open mind. Read here https://tr.im/piano4all

It does take time and yes, you have to learn the music notes, but it does not have to be boring, and it certainly does not have to take forever before you learn to play on your own. Follow these seven steps carefully, and you’ll be playing your first songs independently in a very short time.

You would need a higher quality microphone than some built-in laptop mic.

It's good to use some sort of an external device. Like, I can plug my sampler into my USB port: it bypasses the sound card. There are better external devices you can get if you need multiple signals.

• ?

doesnt count number how stable the mic is, if the sound module on your laptop is crap it wont make a difference. seem in to getting a committed sound card in case you dont have one and then get a mic.

wavepad sound editor allows you to record for free, pretty good quality too

Source(s): i use it