How to record high quality music with a laptop?

I use Audacity software and I can record using my laptop's in-built microphone voice quite reasonably. I tried recording the piano but the sound quality was very poor. What's the easiest way to make professional sounding music recordings such as piano? What to do people in amateur bands use? Will I need... show more I use Audacity software and I can record using my laptop's in-built microphone voice quite reasonably. I tried recording the piano but the sound quality was very poor.

What's the easiest way to make professional sounding music recordings such as piano? What to do people in amateur bands use? Will I need to buy a higher quality microphone or do I need a better recording software? Or should I invest in some other recording equipment and not use the laptop?

Sound recording is outside my expertise completely. If you could link some literature so I can have a basic understanding of the various options, it will be great!